Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought myself another bass, though I'd share it with y'all. Here are some photos!

I haven't gotten it yet, just made the deal yesterday. This makes... er... two and a half. I've got one I've been building up for a while, just waiting for a paint job, and a G&L ASAT.

joe

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
beauty. i was a giging bassist in a former life. last one i had (sold on ebay) was a kramer/travis bean. nice, but weighed like 9,000 pounds.

very very nice instrument you have there. nttawwt.

;)

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I'm really excited. I can't wait to get her.

Here is a pic of my G&L. I bought her off eBay a few years back and she's been my main bass ever since. Complete with a Kahler bass tremolo ;)

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChuckUni said:
That's mega sweet. Nice colors too.

I've been playing since I was 11y.o. You don't really want to know what I play...starts with Iba and ends with nez. I have 3 of them. Two are actually pretty nice the other is a pos. The new ones are horrid.

I used to play bars in what might have been the loudest punk band when i was 13-15y.o.

1 marshall 100w all tube half stack, 1 crate 100w all tube half stack...and a SVT 2 pro with the classic 8x10 cabinet.....all of them all the way up. Ouch. Still love that though.

Can't find many decent tubes for the SVT anymore however.

Very nice, Chuck!

Currently I play through a Mesa/Boogie 400+ into a SWR Goliath III (4x10). IMHO, you can't beat all tube sound.

And as for tubes, if you haven't checked them out yet, poke around www.thetubestore.com They have a lot of NOS tubes, and some newer tubes that are made to specifications of older style tubes.

joe

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
That's mega sweet. Nice colors too.

I've been playing since I was 11y.o. You don't really want to know what I play...starts with Iba and ends with nez. I have 3 of them. Two are actually pretty nice the other is a pos. The new ones are horrid.

I used to play bars in what might have been the loudest punk band when i was 13-15y.o.

1 marshall 100w all tube half stack, 1 crate 100w all tube half stack...and a SVT 2 pro with the classic 8x10 cabinet.....all of them all the way up. Ouch. Still love that though.

Can't find many decent tubes for the SVT anymore however.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haiku d'etat said:
beautiful green! do you play out?

btw, dig your sig. waits is in my top 5.

I ahven't in a while, unfortunatly. My guitarist had a kid and got married, and my drummer damn near killed himself with booze. We used to play parties a lot, but that was really it. Payment was made in beer, and accepted graciously ;)

The color is actually black, too. But it does look like a sweet green in that picture.

And yes, Tom Waits is the man. I've been listening to him since I was a little kid, thanks to my dad.

joe

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm really excited. I can't wait to get her.

Here is a pic of my G&L. I bought her off eBay a few years back and she's been my main bass ever since. Complete with a Kahler bass tremolo ;)

joe
beautiful green! do you play out?

btw, dig your sig. waits is in my top 5.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haiku d'etat said:
i ALWAYS lusted after M/B amps. sadly, we barely made beer money.

Thanks god for student loans! :D

Seriously, I shouldn't have any of the tings I do right now ;)

joe

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer. ...
best places to play were where we'd run out of songs and start doing horribly misfigured covers (think bad sax player, screaming violin, wurlitzer, and a bunch of drunken 18 year olds) after the bartender/owner had been sending shots of something or other all night. :rolleyes:

yeah, we made beer money, but when touring, kicked in our own $ for gas. and stayed on floors and in cots and trundle beds and like that. great and awful times.

...but the wimmen...

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Very nice, Chuck!

Currently I play through a Mesa/Boogie 400+ into a SWR Goliath III (4x10). IMHO, you can't beat all tube sound.

And as for tubes, if you haven't checked them out yet, poke around www.thetubestore.com They have a lot of NOS tubes, and some newer tubes that are made to specifications of older style tubes.

joe

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Thanks god for student loans! :D

Seriously, I shouldn't have any of the tings I do right now ;)

joe
i shouldn't either. thank goodness for credit cards. **ouch**

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
waits hasn't toured since dirt. wtf? i keep watching his page and his fans' pages but...

i'd fly 'cross country to see him live!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer. ...

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haiku d'etat said:
waits hasn't toured since dirt. wtf? i keep watching his page and his fans' pages but...

i'd fly 'cross country to see him live!

It's been a while. He did a benefit show in NY a while ago from what I remember, can't remember what it was for. He rarley tours and when he does he sells out almost instantly, it's insane.

joe

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
It's been a while. He did a benefit show in NY a while ago from what I remember, can't remember what it was for. He rarley tours and when he does he sells out almost instantly, it's insane.

joe
i've seen a video, can't remember what, think it was frank's wild years.

there's a tom waits day or weekend somewhere, in some bar. know what i'm talking about???

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Very nice, Chuck!

joe
Yeah that Mesa is a great amp. I would have used something smaller than an 8x10 but up against the guitars at the time it wouldn't have worked. We also had a huge van to haul stuff. And believe it or not...you can fit an 8x10 cabinet in a '98 VW golf with plenty of room to spare. Still I need something smaller. I've been playing out some recently on other people's gear. The only other amp I have is a 20w Crate that sits under my computer desk. It works ok for that.

I'll check out the link...thanks! I'm running Groove Tube KT88's in it...but the amp slays the tubes...and at $70 bucks a pop...not fun. I would love some NOS GE 6550s. But they go for $$$ and I need 6. :( I had a set a few years ago and they were the best power tubes that amp has every had...by a huge margin.

Still...There are some new tubes on the market since I changed them last. Might find something better this time. It sounds great either way. Just the kt88 fry very quickly.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haiku d'etat said:
i've seen a video, can't remember what, think it was frank's wild years.

there's a tom waits day or weekend somewhere, in some bar. know what i'm talking about???

No, I don't know where that's at. If it's in So. Cal. though, I think I ought to hit it up. Off to Google to see if I can find anything....

joe

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
nice P-Bass

and dig the Tele Style G&L. love those basses (though I'm a guitarist)
those Mesa Boogie 400's also make the best damn stereo amps ya can find. Mesa Boogie makes a 'reference amp' for audiophiles that is basically just the 400. Save some scratch buy a 400 and a nice tube preamp and ya got stereo heaven. Used to be endorsed by Mesa Boogie,think I'mstilllisted on their site.ran a stereo 2-90 power amp and a studio 22 for warm up / then I'd slave it and set it up on the floor as a monitor.
schwwweeeeeeet!!!

J's I'll keep an eye out for Tom. I have buddies who do his sound. (my old sound man did FOH for TW at the Wiltern Theatre Shops in LA "Mule Variations" tour. I may be able to get us backstage but no bearhugging Tom. Scariest thing ismy cousin's ex husband was Tom's kids teacher. He's a huge fan and he'd have to meet Tom for Parent Teacher conferences. He tells me "Tom's sitting across from me going 'teach' what do I do? My daughter is 13 and out a control,I got no idea' and I'm going "Oh my God,it's Tom F'in waits" Kinda hard to pass on advice.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ChuckUni said:
Yeah that Mesa is a great amp. I would have used something smaller than an 8x10 but up against the guitars at the time it wouldn't have worked. We also had a huge van to haul stuff. And believe it or not...you can fit an 8x10 cabinet in a '98 VW golf with plenty of room to spare. Still I need something smaller. I've been playing out some recently on other people's gear. The only other amp I have is a 20w Crate that sits under my computer desk. It works ok for that.

I'll check out the link...thanks! I'm running Groove Tube KT88's in it...but the amp slays the tubes...and at $70 bucks a pop...not fun. I would love some NOS GE 6550s. But they go for $$$ and I need 6. :( I had a set a few years ago and they were the best power tubes that amp has every had...by a huge margin.

Still...There are some new tubes on the market since I changed them last. Might find something better this time. It sounds great either way. Just the kt88 fry very quickly.

The Mesa takes twelve (ouch!) 6L6's for power and four AX7's for the pre. I really like the sound of the Mesa tubes, and that's all I've had in there since there is no bias control on Mesa amps, and I don't want to risk anything.

I've heard good things about Electro Harmonix KT88's though, and EH is a really well trusted brand, and are probably about $50 a matched pair.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
atpjunkie said:
and dig the Tele Style G&L. love those basses (though I'm a guitarist)
those Mesa Boogie 400's also make the best damn stereo amps ya can find. Mesa Boogie makes a 'reference amp' for audiophiles that is basically just the 400. Save some scratch buy a 400 and a nice tube preamp and ya got stereo heaven. Used to be endorsed by Mesa Boogie,think I'mstilllisted on their site.ran a stereo 2-90 power amp and a studio 22 for warm up / then I'd slave it and set it up on the floor as a monitor.
schwwweeeeeeet!!!

J's I'll keep an eye out for Tom. I have buddies who do his sound. (my old sound man did FOH for TW at the Wiltern Theatre Shops in LA "Mule Variations" tour. I may be able to get us backstage but no bearhugging Tom. Scariest thing ismy cousin's ex husband was Tom's kids teacher. He's a huge fan and he'd have to meet Tom for Parent Teacher conferences. He tells me "Tom's sitting across from me going 'teach' what do I do? My daughter is 13 and out a control,I got no idea' and I'm going "Oh my God,it's Tom F'in waits" Kinda hard to pass on advice.

I love the Wiltern. I saw Primus there not too long ago... awesome show. We also drove up to Berkeley the day after I graduated college and saw Primus there. Amazing.

That's funny, about your friend, by the way.

I work for a company here called LA Stage Call that does the loading/sound/everything for most acts that come through larger venues in LA and OC, and I've gotten to meet a few awesome people I admire through that. Costello, Setzer, a ton of WWE guys, wich is interesting... Anyway, just wondering ATP if you know anyone from Stagecall.

joe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts