Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a lousy time of the year for unusual birds, but in another 2 months, the migration will start. Currently, at my feeder, I get:

Sparrows by the score, with a few house finches mixed in.

Titmice

Chickadees

Goldfinches

Cardinals

Nuthatches (2 types)

Woodpeckers (2 types)

various corvids (mostly jays and grackles)

Also get hummingbirds, catbirds and orioles, but not at the feeder.

In fall, I usually get juncos, gnat catchers, and the occasional winter wren (when they fly non-stop the 60 miles across Lake Ontario. Spring often brings red-wing blackbirds, and the occasional red-breasted grosbeak.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
it's a veritable Who's Who of birdom here. well, not really...

mostly grackles, white-wing doves, house sparrows...get black vultures eating road-kill squirrels. had a red-tail hawk standing in my driveway a while back chowing down on a rat he caught.

occasionally see something more interesting, or at least more colorful...red-shafted flickers, blue jays, cardinals, and there's some monk parakeets that show up now and again.

down by the river, there's Audubon warblers, coots, cormorants, mallards.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,796 Posts
I use to have Oriels and Woodpeckers frequent my hummingbird feeder. They must have a sweet tooth. I enlarged the opening to accommodate their larger beaks. All was going well until the bees got wind of the nectar buffet.

·
9,790 Posts
I saw a Monkey-faced Disco Hawk yesterday...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
goddamn starlings stole all the muthah ******* birdseed.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never seen an oriole at my feeder (which is always stocked with black oil sunflower seed), they seem to stay up in the tree canopy. Oh, we also have a couple peregrine falcons that keep the squirrel population down in the neighborhood.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Tastes like chicken.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
peregrine falcons that keep the squirrel population down in the neighborhood

Was walking to the library one day, saw a shredded pigeon near the sidewalk. Thought it was odd, how would it get caught in a lawn mower? Didn't look like it was hit by a car.....

A few steps later, just above head level in a sidewalk tree, was a falcon. :eek: I stopped to marvel at it, and after a few seconds of staring back, it flew up into a higher treetop near the track area of the school. Fascinating, especially in an urban area!

There were some red-tailed hawks nesting at the top of my old office building, but when I asked the security guy about seeing them, he said they weren't there anymore :( Don't know why, they had their own "blog" on the building's website and everything.

As for our humble little yard: Gotta re-fill the finch feeder in the front, though it's very rare to see them (or we just have conflicting schedules in the morning.)

Woodpeckers are somewhat common, but mostly cardinals, blue jays, and the usual assortment of non-native riffraff birds. I like leaving out shelled peanuts, beetle grubs and BSFL from the compost pile for them, funny watching the larger birds taking time to select a nice-sized grub or peanut. Like I'm the head chef of a fancy bird restaurant :D

Visiting my SIL in VA is great fun for bird watching- she's got a feeder on the porch near the kitchen window with an insane assortment of gorgeousness flocking around.

Oh yeah, I have a hummingbird feeder that was a gift, but I don't know if we even have hummingbirds around here.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I live in an apartment building and the only thing we get is pigeons; I'm told there's at least one resident who feeds them. Other than Monk Parakeets, which I hear if don't always see on my commute, and the infrequent goldfinch, there's nothing else of note. When I lived at the bottom of a cliff there was an occasional raptor, and you could tell it was around by the parakeets screaming their head off.

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
Robins, 2 kinds of finches - the red ones come in little thuggish gangs and chase everyone away, the yellow finches are already eating centers out of sunflowers.

Sparrows, chickadee dee dees, cardinals (the crazy one who fought with the windows either figured it out or quit for some other reason), a red tail hawk, a bluebird or 3 this spring.

Some wrens, tit mouse (mice?), nut hatches, and the two small peckerwoods Downy. Also a pair of the medium ones, the red-bellied. Whiny catbirds. Swallows.

The prick bluejays don't come around much.

A pair of doves that come and drink out of the fountain on the patio.

They all are a lot of fun to watch. Probably a few I've forgotten.

I've been buying the jalapeno flavored seed, seems to slow down the squirrel.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
A fair number of species here (PNW) Puget Sound region. American robin, varied thrush, Anna's and Rufus hummingbird, juncos, black-cap chickadee, English sparrow, house finch, purple finch, pine siskin, house sparrow, white crowned sparrow, cedar waxwing, Stellar's jay, bald eagle, pileated woodpecker, downy woodpecker, northern flicker, crow, towhee, mourning dove, ruffed grouse, red tail hawk, great horned owl, red breasted nuthatch, sharp shinned hawk, band tailed pigeon, Cooper's hawk, Canada goose, Violet green swallow, evening grosbeak. Plus some hard (for me) to identify in the LLB (little brown bird) category.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Oh yeah, I have a hummingbird feeder that was a gift, but I don't know if we even have hummingbirds around here.
Humingbirds are summer birds all the way up to about 100 miles north of the great lakes, and at least halfway up into the Canadian prarie provinces. I believe that hummingbirds can be found in all 50 states (but likely just the "banana belt" of Alaska).

·
9,790 Posts
I have roadrunners, long-tail flickers, buzzards, crows, cardinals, hawks, and bald eagles, primarily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I remember the first time I actually saw a roadrunner. I was disappointed. Was expecting something larger, that went "beep beep".

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I bought my present home almost 20 yrs ago. About 6 months later, a cell tower popped up immediately right past my back yard. About 5 years later, Osprey built a nest and raised their young. The nest has been torn down twice since then, but always rebuilt and populated, with chicks being raised. They are quite noisy, but I enjoy it. This spring/summer we've had a family of five for a few months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts