Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok. Mine is an m50 w/o disc brakes and the weight for a 53cm with speed play pedals, no cages, is 20 lb 15 oz. so 21 with cages.

The wheels are crazy heavy. Portuguese rims with Claris hubs and zaffiros. Front wheel was 1470 grams with tire. My guess is the bare wheels are 2100-2200 grams.

This purely academic for the weight weenies. :)

I have 40 lb of beer gut to lose before I worry about bike weight loss. Although I might go 28mm tubeless if a good deal comes my way.

·
Cannondaleman
100 Posts
Yeah, the versatility of this bike is amazing, being able to upgrade/switch to electronic shifting and disc brakes. I am completly happy with my choice. I wanted a bike with a little bling with the paintjob, and my bike has that. I was originally looking at the Synapse, of course, but also the Bianchi Infinito with Campy Chorus. The Bianchi was going to cost about twice what I paid for the Avant.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A bit late but...

I love this bike and have been drooling/desiring/scheming to get one since I saw the press release. I found a frame for sale, bought it, and here's the rest of that story:

Bought the frame with the new fork, it was set up for Di2, so I ordered a new head tube guide to go cable route. Parts for the build include:
Sram Red Shifters and Crank (compact, this is my commuter and I like the lower gearing for around town riding)

Sram Force FD/RD- both were new when I originally bought them, have since seen thousands of race and commuting miles but still looked new enough for the Avant.

Nokon Cable housing for shifting- I had lots of leftover bits from other builds, so I put together a custom color combo just because I could. Personally, I think it's amazing, others may disagree...

Axiom streamliner DLX rack that I've owned for years and modified for a previous bike and decided to re-appropriate for this build

Bontrager RLX Handlebars and Bontrager XXX seatpost- again, used from previous bike but I wasn't trying to go crazy and get new bits.

TRP Spyre disc brakes- from old commuter, loved them, they're awesome and were a nice upgrade from the BB7's

Did some custom work to get the rack to fit- used 90 degree angle aluminum for f/r fender and rack mounts, and a .125" straight alloy custom bent for the upper rack mount. I also polished it once it was finished since I had the stuff to do so and it looks sweet.

Overall, the build took way longer than I had planned and I'm still not happy with the brake cable housing, but eventually will go with Yokozuna or if finances permit, hydraulic (S700? Red?, I dunno). This bike was purchased to replace my race bike and a commuter. I no longer race but want to do gran fondo's, centuries and some gravel riding, and I commute daily. Just wanted something new and the hills around here made my steel bike a bit less enjoyable.

Riding weight is 26.1 lbs which includes the bike lock that I keep locked up to the rack for convenience, my headlight & battery (L&M Seca 800, it's heavy!) as well as computer, pedals (CB Candy 2's).

Again, I can't state how much I love this bike!! It's as responsive as my Focus Izalco was, more comfortable than my Kona Honky Inc, and it just rides like an absolute dream.

IMAG0787[1].jpg IMAG0786[1].jpg IMAG0785[1].jpg IMAG0784[1].jpg IMAG0782[1].jpg IMAG0780[1].jpg

21 - 25 of 25 Posts