Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
International Bicycle?

I just bought a road frame that i am gonna fix up and have as my project bike for the next few months. I ride exclusively MTB until this bike so I don't know much. The HT crest and a decal on the seat tube are branded as International Bicycle. I bought it off a guy who was at least the second owner if not more. its a 70's era frame with all original parts(so I think). Steel of course. the guy said it might have been re branded but it is definitely a Japanese frame (also says made in Japan on the frame so...)

If pics would help I can post em later when I get home. mostly just wondering whether its a re brand or what.

Thanks

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Dalis12 said:
International Bicycle?

I just bought a road frame that i am gonna fix up and have as my project bike for the next few months. I ride exclusively MTB until this bike so I don't know much. The HT crest and a decal on the seat tube are branded as International Bicycle. I bought it off a guy who was at least the second owner if not more. its a 70's era frame with all original parts(so I think). Steel of course. the guy said it might have been re branded but it is definitely a Japanese frame (also says made in Japan on the frame so...)

If pics would help I can post em later when I get home. mostly just wondering whether its a re brand or what.

Thanks
The International brand is not listed in Sheldon Brown's article on Japanese bikes, so it is almost certanly a re-brand. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/japan.html There were many rebranded bikes from Japanese manufacturers back then. The manufactures would simply slap different decals or stickers onto a frame.

Have fun, but I wouldn't put much money into it. This is an entry level bike boom bike with a low market value. However, I rode thousands of miles and had great times on a bike that wasn't as nice as this. I like to see these old bikes in use.

BTW Dave_Stohler is an RBR member who has a a disdain for old entry level bikes. It's fun to see him get all worked up over it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not planning on spending much money. just gonna fix it up a little to keep me busy this summer then ride it as my commuter. spent 15 bucks on paint and only other things i'm thinking of replacing are the seat and pedals. though I might change out the wheels if I can find something super cheap as the current wheels are steel and weigh about as much as the frame....

thanks for the info! i did find out they were based in Canada and re branded from Italian and Japanese companies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.