Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to take the bike up and watch my nephew row at "The Head of the Charles" in October and check out the city too, but I can't figure out where to stay. Does anyone know any half decent motels or hostels near Boston U? The hotel prices are way up, I'm assuming because of the race.

Thanks,

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
PM me.

·
Non non normal
10,097 Posts
You can stay in any hotel near a T line and just travel in to see the race.

I was a Terrier.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigrider said:
You can stay in any hotel near a T line and just travel in to see the race.

I was a Terrier.
Saf-T mentioned that too. Can I take my bike on the T? I was planning to take my bike and have that as my main transport. Hoped to see the race then check out the city since I've never been.

·
Non non normal
10,097 Posts
zeytin said:
Saf-T mentioned that too. Can I take my bike on the T? I was planning to take my bike and have that as my main transport. Hoped to see the race then check out the city since I've never been.
Subway
Bikes are allowed weekdays before 7 am, between 10 am - 4 pm, and after 7 pm, all day on weekends, but not on substitute bus shuttle service.
Blue, Red and Orange Line trains allow up to two (2) bikes per car.
Only folding bikes are allowed on the Green Line and Mattapan Trolley
Board and ride on either end of the car. Do not transport bicycles down the aisles.
Move your bicycle once all passengers have cleared the doorways. Hold your bicycle firmly at all times with kickstand up.
If accompanying a child with a bike, remain at the same end of the car.
Wait for a less crowded train if boarding with your bike would present an obstacle to other passengers.
If you are unable to disembark train without interfering with other passengers, remain on the train until it becomes less crowded.
In a train emergency, stow your bike as far away from the aisle as possible.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The Howard Johnson's in Kenmore Square (right near BU) might be a good bet. When my friends come for Sox games then generally stay there because it's the cheapest around, so they say. The Hotel Buckminster is right there too....but I have no clue if it's cheap or ritzy.....maybe google and check on that because the location would be good for you. The Midtown hotel is supposedly reasonable to.

Also, you could look into Cambridge. The river splits Boston and Cambridge so from the perspective of someone there for the race Boston or Cambridge would be 6 of one half dozen of the other.

The John Jeffries house in Beacon Hill is in a great location and cheap (by Boston standards). It's not by BU but it right near the river so you could walk to the Charles.

The HI on Hunnington on Hemenway street is the only hostel I'm aware of. It's reasonably close to BU but not right there.

If you're staying in Boston it's so small there would be no need to put your bike on the T, just ride it to where you're going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts