Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,566 Posts
How 'bout both ways.

I started off on my first rig with Campy SR friction shifters. I converted to Shimano Ultegra 8 speed index downtube shifters. When I built my Bianchi, I went with Chorus 8 speed downtube shifters. I finally broke down and upgraded to Chorus 8 speed Ergo levers. When I built up my Giant TCR, I decided to try Shimano again. I went with 9 speed Dura Ace. Same thing when I built up my Gunnar last year. Went with DA 9 speed.
I still ride all three bikes, and I notice that each system has it's pluses and minuses. The Campy system shifts best from the hoods. I find that it's very hard to reach up with your thumb when you're in the drops and sprinting. The downshit lever is not easy to push in the drops when you're going all out.
Shimano also works great when on the hoods. When you're in the drops, and you want to upshift, it's easy to hit both levers when you're going all out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That seems pretty level headed Grumpy. You switch from one to the other and pick and chose what you like or disliked about each group. I'm curious to know if there are any diehard converts. I've always heard of "I used Shimano forever until I tried Campy and now there is no way I will ever go back." Just wondering if there are diehards the other way.

Personally I think they are both fine groups. Whatever floats your boat seems to be the majority opinion about the two. However, I have found that those who do claim Campy is the best are a bit more passionate about their beliefs (to say the least).

I've heard that if stereotyping the two co's one could say Campy=Better Materials Shimano=Better Engineering
Meaning Shimano will work better out of the box, whereas Campy will take some work to get dialed in, but once in will last longer

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm a Campy lover, who's riding Shimano while dreaming of Chorus and Record :)

Yeah, I'm currently riding a mostly Ultegra bike at the moment. My first road bike was Ultegra, then I had one that was Chorus/Centaur and I fell in love with Campy. I work at the LBS though and all the bikes we stock come with Shimano. It's much more cost effective for me to buy a complete bike then it is to try and build one up with Campy so for now I'm stuck riding Shimano. If I could afford it I'd be on Chorus, but I just can't at the moment. Overall I'm pretty pleased with my bike and I was able to add some excitement by throwing on some FSA carbon cranks. The Ultegra stuff works fine and is very smooth. I just don't like the vague feel of the shifting or the shape of the hoods on the Shimano stuff.

I'm sure there are some converts out there but I'm guessing not many. Most of the bikes sold these days seem to be Shimano equipped so most people riding Campy sought it out specifically and therefor are unlikely to switch to want to convert to Shimano. Those who like Shimano have probably never had reason to try Campy (they just don't know what they are missing :))

Campy is for road bikes, Shimano is for fishing!!! j/k

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
The reason you don't hear much about them...

...is that BOTH of them have severe difficulties operating something as complex as a computer.
But seriously, Campagnolo simply has a fanatic following . One article I read, compared the fierceness of brand loyalty to Harley-Davidson motorcycles. That includes T-shirts (btw., you really CAN get a Shimano t-shirt in the Walmart fishing section...), fan-websites (www.campyonly.com - anyone riding ShimaNO will feel the love!) and even tattoos. Personally, I am half way there. Campy on both bikes, DuraAce in the parts bin and a bookmark on the website.
As for the tattoo, as soon as I find someone who can spell one of 'them thar ah-tell-e-in' words...

·
Registered
62 Posts
went from Campy to Shim. and back again

JohnnyCat said:
Just curious. I've always heard of Shimano to Campy and not Ca to Sh.
I started riding with years ago with Campy Super Record. When It was time for a new bike in the mid 80's Shimano's indexing system was clearly superior. Campy was still building beautiful componants but they did not work nearly as well as Shimano's. I bought a bike with 600 and it worked flawlessly for about two years. The headset went out twice and the shifters once. The finish on the components wasn't very good. After a few years the crank and hubs looked as though they had cancer.

In the mid 90's I built up my Gios compact pro with a mix of Athena and Chorus and have not looked back. I built up a Bianchi in 01 with Record and have been very pleased. As long as Campy continues to make quality stuff I won't be going back to Shimano.

I tried the Dura Ace stuff before building up my Bianchi and did not care for the shifting feel. Some people love it because it feels so smooth. I much prefer the more mechanical feel I get from Campy.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
nope

Started my modern era of cycling with Dura Ace. Loved it. Tried Chorus on a whim and loved it too. The subsequent 10 bikes - 1 Shimano, 9 Campy, and in retrospect I probably would've done that one as Campy had I been in the mood. Frankly, as cool as DA10 seems and as much as I want to try it out, I just can't bring myself to not use Campy. Cable routing alone is reason enough for me. Can't go back.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nah, it's just not done.

My wife bought me a Giant TCR with DA-10 as a present. I took it out for one ride and brought it back to the shop. I had it swapped out with Chorus. DA is super smooth, but the new shifters are just too big. It's like riding with two pistols clamped to the bars. The DA cranks are the lightest and stiffest around, but c'mon, they're pug ugly. It looks like an old Nissan hubcap. Now, I'm back in the hands of Uncle Tullio and couldn't be happier.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Campy Rules

I switched from Shimano Dura-ace to Campy Chorus this past summer. I got out my DA bike this week-end and did a side by side comparison. I know the difference is small and personal preference plays a large roll, but I'm going to have to give the nod to Campy.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I still prefer the feel of Record but DA10 is really good as well. The action similar to '03 XTR now, light, smooth, accurate, shorter throw, yet maintaining good feedback. The mushiness of DA9 is completely gone.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Like Mr. Grumpy and grandemamou

I started with Nuovo Record in the early seventies when it was the best quality stuff available. In 1974 I bought the Dura Ace gruppo, we're still talking friction shifters here with band clamp DT shifters, etc. Nice made and finished, it was the small refinements that were missing at that time. EG- the rubber around the brake cable adjuster on Campag vs metal only on the Dura Ace, the latter scratching the paint on one's down tube. The knurling on the outside brake cable end holder in the levers which enabled one to easily turn the barrel when inserting or removing the cable. The only part close to Campy NR were the hubs. I still have a pair of both LF and HF hubs, still using both.

I passed the Super Record part as it really wasn't hugely different from NR and then went to C Record. Still one of the better looking gruppos made IMHO and very functional, excluding the Delta brakes which while having great cool factor, were a pain in the ass. BTW, anyone selling a 3.5mm allen key? By this time index shifting had come into play and Campy's solution, Synchro was complete crap. Anyone who's dealt with the various washer sets in the shift levers knows what I'm talking about. Lemond supposedly went friction in his 1990 victory because the system was so bad. I switched over to Dura-Ace in 1991 (7-spd freewheel) and was impressed by how well everything worked and the build quality. Switched to 8 spd cassette in 1994 and didn't go STI until 1997 and to 9 spd in 2000. I'd look at Campy now and then but the Shimano stuff worked so why change?

Bought a new frame in the beginning of 2002. The carbon fiber fever gotten to me and the siren song of Record 10 was calling despite misgivings about the chain. Bought the gruppo and then another for my C-40 last year and the chain has never been an issue.

The most noticeable thing was riding and not seeing the STI shift cables in front of me. Both gruppos work well, shifting feel and visual appearance is different. I'll probably buy the DA-10 at some point as it shifts more like the 8spd STI than the 9spd. Given that I don't race anymore, one thing I've never liked about DA (not Ultegra) is their limited range of general use, ie non-racing, cassettes. I can't pull a 12, never mind an 11, so I'll have to wait until they offer cassettes with a 13 bottom thereby giving a more usable range of options for the non-racer.

So I guess it's Campy to Shimano to Campy for me. Having choices is a good thing.

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts
That's crazy talk

Leave Campy for Shimano? Usually only done for financial reasons now. However, with the D/A 10 price jump, the difference $ wise is much lower these days. Although there was a stretch of time where Shimano did hold a functional advantage.

Personally, I like the action of the Ergo levers better. Rather then go to Shimano, I have to think many Campy riders are like me and go to third parties on certain parts- like Wipperman for their fine stainless steel ten speed chains, and FSA for their Campy 10 compatible carbon cranks. Also wheelsets are a place that Campy and Shimano loyalists(particullary Shimano with their overpriced lackluster wheelsets) are willing to go third party.

I would like to see Campy move to a one piece Carbon crank/bb for Record, but I think FSA will be there much quicker.

Coolhand

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Dreams of Campy

My first bike had Suntour and I dreamed of Campy.

My second bike had Huret and I dreamed of Campy.

My third bike had Shimano and I dreamed of Campy.

Now I have Campy, why would I want anything else.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok, I thought of one. A friend of one of the mechanics at the shop I work for is riding a full Record equiped bike. He's a college student and a former "shop rat". He needed to rebuild both of his hubs with new bearings and cones, total cost was over $70 at wholesale for the parts! That's a lot for just some cones and bearings, plus we had a tough time getting some of those parts in for him as a number of distributors didn't have them in stock. For that reason, he's switching to Shimano on his next bike. He prefers Campy too, but it can be expensive to fix and hard to find parts for.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Absolutely!! Started with Record/Chorus 10...

and decided that paying that much (and it's constant) was absurd. Every time I wanted to do maintenance or try something different, it cost a fortune for parts and tools. If you have non-road bikes, you already have all the Shimano tools. Even if you believe the, what is it now, Ultegra = Mirage, it still costs way more. I switched to a mix of Ultegra and can replace my chain AND cassette for $40 per bike – shipped. That won’t even get you a Campy chain.

The Campy was great, pretty carbon levers and all, but just not worth it.

TF

·
Registered
25 Posts
WILL BE first time campy user!

My first 3 bikes were Shimano 9's (ult., DA, and DA). But I'm a dreamer and always wanted to build my C40 w/ record 10 now that I have a beater/race bike in a CAAD7. And now I will have the opportunity...so yesterday, one of my club members offered an unbelievably SWEET deal on his year old, hardly raced Record gruppo w/ carbon cranks which I am close to getting...PENDING BUD SELIG'S APPROVAL!!! My own little evil empire, I love it!!! I've always wanted the best of both worlds. Now I can pawn off the extra DA 9 and save up for DA10! I was going get another wheelset until this deal came along. Can't wait!!!---paa

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Shimano-Humbug

I switched to Campy after a warranty dispute with shimaNO. After a rear wheel exploded for no apparent reason,and they would not warranty it because I could not find the reciept,even though the wheel was 2 months old.
Any way,sold all shimaNO stuff, and switched to campy.LOVE it. Glad I tried the Campy stuff.I really like the shifting feel better,and it is just prettier than the shimano.Would never go back toshimano not just because of the rift,but because have fell in love with Campy.
It is like some kind of fever once you got the Campy bug you can,t get rid of it!!
Namaste

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are some...

Ullrich, Zabel, Vinokourov, Savoldelli, Botero, just to name a few. Did Lance Armstrong ever actually ride for Cofidis? If yes, you have to count him in as well, as I think they have been using Campy for some time...(and even if not, if Shimano is good enough for him, it definetely is good enough for me).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.