Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading to a 2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert and want to put on carbon cages. Anybody got a recommendation or avoid for me? I am not looking to go mega expensive, more in the $40 range.

Thanks!

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
I recommend:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=113815

Personally I have the Profile Design Karbon Kage (not the lite) ones and they work great. Whatever you get make sure the bottom tab that keeps the bottle from dropping is sturdy, because they'll break otherwise.

Nashbar has a 20% off $100 right now so the Karbon Kages will be just over $30 each which is a decent price.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Performance theta cages. I've had'em for a year - they're inexpensive - I've never lost a bottle - no issues at all.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Cough up the 9 grams, save yourself $30 per cage, and get the Specialized Rib Cage Pro. Even matches the bike.

I guarantee you won't be a tick slower, and never having to worry about breaking a cage or launching a bottle has it's own sort of value.

·
Klein Road Rider
1 Posts
kytyree said:
the arundel's are nice and very secure

+2
Make that +3!

I love my Arundel cage. I'm not a weight weenie by any stretch, and it's the only carbon item on my bike - all I'm saying is it's primarily the practicality I love, not the bling factor. The fact that it goes well with the over-sized tubes of my Klein is just a bonus ;)

I've tried many many cages over the years, steel (including some work-of-art hollow tubed ones) and alloy (including some very expensive Elite ones). The Arundel Dave-O is the only one I've ever been truly happy with. Just wish they weren't so hard to find here in the UK...

·
Registered
68 Posts
2nd the Specialized Rib cages

I've had the Rib cages since March of this year. Work great, flexible but hold the bottle firmly. Stay away from the Performance carbons, I've broken every set I've used.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I should add that the one I actually bought was this one:
http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/ride/p...MX5NPTF_&scid=SearchResults&spoffset=2&s_id=0

Technically it weighed more than the titanium one (which was super light) but seriously - my water bottle empty weighs more than either cage. I've only had it 2 weeks, but it's worked fantastic for keeping my water bottle firmly on my bike.

'course if you're looking for the "look" of carbon, I suppose neither suggestion will help. :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
When I got my Madone, I got 2 of the Bonte XXX-Lite CF cages (only 17g each) thrown in as part of the sale. Not cheap if you have to pay full retail, but they look nice and have not had any problems with dropping a water bottle.

Just my $0.02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.