Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to collegiate nationals this year, so I will be racing a bunch of pro/1/2/3 riders (I am still a 3 for a little bit).

Background: Last week at regionals, I did a suicide 80mi breakaway in an 80 mi race...and it stuck. By mile 60 I was DYING. No doubt 86 degrees and 2 bottles for every 20mi was the culprit, but I was still completely wasted. I spent the next hour trying not to lose consciousness, the next 3 hours trying not to throw up, and the next 2 days recovering.

Nationals this year is at 5000-6000 feet in Colorado, which is a lot for this sea-level rider. No choice but to get there Wednesday and race Fri/Sat (ouch). My biggest concern is surviving the hardest race of my life in extreme circumstances.

Any tips for:
-not dying at 5-6000 feet when I arrive 2 days before the race?
-surviving a 90mi RR
-surviving a 90mi RR when it will be the hardest effort of my life, even though conserving energy is paramount
-not throwing up or blacking out at the end

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Actually, if you can't go to altitude a few weeks out to acclimate, the next best thing is to go and compete w/in 24 hours. Is there any way you could get there Thursday or Friday morning?

Within ~48 hours of your arrival, your body will decrease the amount of water in the blood (plasma volume) in an attempt to concentrate the red blood cells. It makes the blood more viscous in addition to the other issues that altitude causes.

·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrea138 said:
Actually, if you can't go to altitude a few weeks out to acclimate, the next best thing is to go and compete w/in 24 hours. Is there any way you could get there Thursday or Friday morning?

Within ~48 hours of your arrival, your body will decrease the amount of water in the blood (plasma volume) in an attempt to concentrate the red blood cells. It makes the blood more viscous in addition to the other issues that altitude causes.
Nope. Check-in is on Wednesday and racing doesn't start until Friday. Finals are this week.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Andrea138 said:

Thanks Andrea - I'd heard that for flatlanders, competing at elevation was best done in a short window. Now I know why. Does the body start reducing plasma volume immediately, or does it take start after a ~day and take place over the ~24 hours? Once you're at that reduced plasma level, how long does it take the body to recompensate for the reduced oxygen volume?

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
A couple of things here:

1) Don't do something that you cannot do. I am not saying not be aggressive and be bold. I am saying don't be the retard that does things he know he can't pull off, "just because." The guys you will be racing against aren't that good (I know because I regularly trounce one of your champions from last year, and if he's the stanard, you don't have to worry).

2) Play to your strengths. IF you can sprint, set up for the sprint. If you can break away, wait for the time that you know that you can all the way to the end. Still, your mission should be just surviving.

3) None of those will be your biggest problem, although #1 might be an issue. I have been looking at the MWCCC results and your problem will be lasting. The racers aren't that good but the RR course is hard. You're racing the course more than you're racing the other riders. It is going to give you a hard time. You have ways to help yourself and ways to hurt yourself. If you are not always thinking about conserving as much as possible, you are hurting yourself. You won't make the break and you won't make the chase. The best chance you have is getting into a group that is going your speed. Be on the lookout the whole time for that group as the race will splinter early.

For the crit, your best chance is to ride for the field sprint and try your best. Don't break away unless you go with someone who has what it takes to stay away and if you are away with him, don't work much or else you will get dropped. Even if you have to make a deal whereby you don't sprint, do whatever you have to do to stay in the winning break, if there is one (unlikely), and if you get in it (even less likely).

When you get here, start pounding water. Before you race, take some salt with you and take some every hour.

Other than that, try hard.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
in long RR's one of the best coaches I ever had ( a cat 1 ) told me: let the miles do the work. meaning, sit in, conserve, have enough left when crunch time comes.

do you have the long miles in your legs? there's no substitute for that. I know you did that camp in Austin, when the natz and how many 100+mile days have you had since then?

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
One last thing: Don't give up on any of this. You have to fight the fight and struggle along no matter how hard it is. Remember not be shocked at how hard the bad parts are but all you have to do is pedal through. Remember to be conservative and no matter how good you feel at mile 10, it's how you feel by mile 85 that matters. As Creaky says, let the miles do the work.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Good thread. Not doing anything like that, but I've got a Pro XCT (mountain bike) race in June and will be traveling to CO Springs 2 days before the race (also live/train near sea level).

Thanks all for the info/experiences.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I think you have a lot of better, more specific advice here, but a friend of mine says, and I think it's accurate enough -- the top five in any given category can be top twenty in the next category up. a lot of guys got to Cat 2 without ever holding off a field for 80 mi.
so, go get 'em, killer.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
bill said:
I think you have a lot of better, more specific advice here, but a friend of mine says, and I think it's accurate enough -- the top five in any given category can be top twenty in the next category up. a lot of guys got to Cat 2 without ever holding off a field for 80 mi.
so, go get 'em, killer.

Hold on - you're confusing his statement for a SOLO break, which it was not. In fact, far from it. 4 guys took off from the gun and eventually were joined/passed by the larger winning break. Not to take anything away from the OP but a solo break is something else entirely. Hell, even a 2 up break is something else entirely.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
last week on our Sunday club ride, two of us found ourselves about 20 seconds ahead of the group as we began the last thirty-forty minute leg of the ride. we started pounding and never looked back. it hurt like hell. by the time we got to the end of the run, we couldn't see anyone behind us, and we congratulated ourselves for putting so much time into the group. by the time we got to the coffee shop and sat down, the legend grew, because they were nowhere to be seen.
turns out that some guys had hit a big pothole about a minute into the run. ambulances were involved. maybe we weren't so special.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
Hope you like hills. There isn't a flat spot on the RR course after the first 5 miles.

·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Regionals wasn't anything special other than knowing I could be out front all day. It damn near killed me, though.

4 of us went off the front. We quickly dropped 1 rider after about 4-5 miles, so it was 3 of us. At mile 30, the 2 other guys basically stopped pulling. No use in dragging them around, so I attacked and dropped them at mile 35. I was solo for 15 miles before getting caught by the 5 man chase group at mile 50. I sat in the (now) lead group and told them I wouldn't sprint...I was just happy to be in contention, still.

Nationals will be all about the experience and less about trying to get results this year. I'm also looking at the schedule again and for some reason it says 70mi instead of 90mi...which is a good thing. I think it was 90 last year.

What is your name, Sherpa, and who do you ride for?

·
Registered
896 Posts
remind yourself that if it hurts you, everyone else is hurting as well. sounds like you already know the tricks. stay hydrated at altitude, and eat. elevation will make you dehydrated, and dry air may make it seem like you are not sweating. you may also lose your appetite. eat and drink, but make sure your replace electrolytes - don't just go crazy with water. use your head and you will do fine

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
if i am correct sherpa is a pro track rider and cat 1 on the road and eats little nuggets like you for snacks on his rides lol

iliveonnitro said:
Regionals wasn't anything special other than knowing I could be out front all day. It damn near killed me, though.

4 of us went off the front. We quickly dropped 1 rider after about 4-5 miles, so it was 3 of us. At mile 30, the 2 other guys basically stopped pulling. No use in dragging them around, so I attacked and dropped them at mile 35. I was solo for 15 miles before getting caught by the 5 man chase group at mile 50. I sat in the (now) lead group and told them I wouldn't sprint...I was just happy to be in contention, still.

Nationals will be all about the experience and less about trying to get results this year. I'm also looking at the schedule again and for some reason it says 70mi instead of 90mi...which is a good thing. I think it was 90 last year.

What is your name, Sherpa, and who do you ride for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The mwccc results show a DNF for that race as your result - so did you finish or did you pull yourself? From your comments above, it seems like you were saying you stayed with the break until the end of the day? Maybe your finish was recorded incorrectly?

I agree the hardest thing will be lasting until the end as the course looks difficult. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
There are pro riders on collegiate teams and i do believe they are allowed to do nats...so yea good luck winning as a cat 3 buddy

·
Registered
212 Posts
l'm pretty sure nitro can hold his own in most races, he has had plenty of experiance up against such riders just not the results that he may have been hoping for but def not through lack of trying and l'm sure success is just around the corner.
Good luck dude and let us know how it unfolds with a race report :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts