Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to a construction supply and get foam backer rod and some pourable grey silicon crack sealer. This should fix it right up.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have a 1/2 inch wide crack in my entrance stair step. My wife ans some of her friends have almost caught their high heels in it. I need to patch. What would be the best material for this? Foto attached, for your consideration:

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Depends how much you want to spend. You could get some epoxy formulated for bonding concrete, but that will cost you. I had a similar crack on my concrete steps and wanted a cheap fix. I used Elmer's Glue Probond Concrete Bonder mixed with patch-crete. The whole thing cost less than $12 and it's held for 16 years so far.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
How deep is it- are you likely to lose the entire corner of the step? If so, it's more than a patch job.....

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
Do you have a hammer drill with a 3/8" masonry bit?

If so, line up as best you can, drill throught the chipped off block into the larger section,
use a 3/8" concrete expansion anchor (Redhead is one brand name) and bolt corner bak to the slab. Then patch the top with quick setting concrete, or you can use hydraulic concrete available in small cans already mixed and it's waterproof

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I think you should leave it there to teach them a lesson about wearing lame shoes.
+1.

Or whack the whole corner off with a sledge hammer and tell everyone that you're shooting for a "rustic" look.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
That couldn't possibly catch a sidi heel bumper.

No worries.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
If it's a seperate tread, on top of a concrete base:
Looks like the piece is about 6" X 7" and completely loose. If it's not, you should be able to wiggle it off of there.

1. Remove the piece
2. Clean the piece and the place it came form thouroughly
3. Re-install the piece with nearly any high strength concrete bonding material that is for outdoor use. Follow the directions to the letter.

If it's a single pour, and the peice won't come out:
1. Fill the crack with some mortar.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
if it is a new or recent job, I would call the contractor with a complaint, there is a problem. I see the tread below it is cracked too. The footing is faulty, no matter what you do it will be a patch.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i'm no expert but i've poured more quikrete than i care to the past two weeks, i'd go w/ the redhead anchor solution and patch.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
still, concrete does NOT crack if the foundation is good the crack shows that the corner is displaced.....steps are very difficult

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I would not recommend the red head solution. Expansion anchors work well in large areas of concrete where the concrete is restrained by other concrete. In small areas the expansion anchors put the area around the concrete in tension and concrete is weak in tension. You could make your problems worse. If the piece is loose, epoxy is your best bet. If you cannot get the piece any closer, then I would recommend a non-shrink grout. Usually you can get a 40# bag of non-shrink grout for less than $10. You could even get flowable non-shrink grout and mix it fairly thin and pour it in the crack. Just make sure you have the sides blocked so that the grout does not run out.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
It's an easy fix. As it's a step, you're dealing with a simple 90 degree angle. Make a 90 degree form out of a couple of 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's (however tall the step is). Drill a few (4 or 5) horizontal holes into the existing/step and load in a few pieces of cut rebar - maybe 10 or 12 inches in length. Use quickcrete and fill in the form.

Project done and your wife will think you're a construction hero.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I see the tread below it is cracked too. The footing is faulty, no matter what you do it will be a patch.
+1. The photo isn't wide anlge enough to provide enough information, but the soil/basecourse underneath the steps may not have been adequately compacted when the steps were poured. Subsequent soil/basecourse settlement could have caused the resultant strain on the concrete, possibly in addition to freeze-thaw (if you live in a cold climate).

Alternatively, do you see any other cracks in your house's foundation? Could indicate a more widespread subsidence issue, or if there any nearby hillslopes or embankments sloping down and away from the steps/foundation it could be a slope stability issue as well.

If you have any reason to believe that any of the above may be true, a quick patch job will likely not last very long.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
House in Mexico? I'm sure the soil/basecourses were scientifically compacted, and the "concrete" that was mixed on the dirt, without even a wheelbarrow, was properly tested and reinforced.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yup the house is in Mexico. Shoddy if that good, construction. I got a 3 kilo bucket of quick setting anchor patch. Gets mixed @ 200ml of water per kilo. Tomorrow I'll mix it up and pour it in, smooth it out and voila. Good enuf fer me. And it'll keep Mom happy for another day or two if I'm lucky. We've lived in this house almost 14 years now and my wife hasn't complained until now about the crack, if nothing else if it doesn't work she'll get off me back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.