Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any noticeable difference between a clincher or tubular aero wheel in a race with or without hills. I have read lots of posts where there is and where a mortal can't tell. Also about the hills only playing a big part if it is longer than a mile. Ive read where zipp 404 clinchers will be faster on a straight and a 404 tub's is faster up a hill. I guess I was wondering how much of a difference is there going up a hill with the weight difference. I see lots of riders attacking a hill with cheap wheels and passing those with much lighter wheels and this is in crit races and tri's. Just need a better understanding. Also to add if clinchers a bad for races other than tt's and tri's why are there so many people riding on them. Your opinion is appreciated.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
abdou said:
Borrow a set of decent wheels with good quality tubulars for your next race (esp if it is a criterium with lots of corners), pump them 1 bar higher than you are used to, and you will feel the difference
That "feeling" is not speed, it's bumps. The only reason to run tubs, IMHO, is so that you can run lower pressure which is faster. - TF

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Kabooby said:
Is there any noticeable difference between a clincher or tubular aero wheel in a race with or without hills
Good quality clinchers tend to have lower rolling resistance than good tubulars.
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

The difference in Crr more than offsets the weight disadvatage of clinchers in all conditions... so clinchers are fastest.

Also, many people put too much pressure in their tires because they "feel" faster that way... but they aren't. The increased vibrational energy just ends up getting absorbed by your body and wasted. Greater tire flex is also good for cornering. ~100psi is a good place to start... if the road is fairly rough (ie normal road or worse) you will be fastest if you inflate enough to just prevent pinch flats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.