Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people hack their bikes to become more aero. I've seen plenty of DIY disc wheels using ABS plastic/cardboard, and I've even seen some people creating their own rear fairings like those of the Trek Speed Concept. I've also seen those aero bar "arm cups" using toilet paper rolls.

One DIY fairing I have not seen is one that goes on the front of the bike, which could cover any external cables and possibly the front brake; I'm thinking of something like the TriRig Delta Aero Cover. Their wind tunnel data shows a decent amount of aero gains, but the huge negatives are that TriRig sells the covers for for $175, and they're not even guaranteed to fit your personal bike.

Has anyone out there tried to DIY one that isn't horribly expensive, looks decent, and saves some watts? Or any ideas on how to make one?
Automotive lighting Communication Device Rectangle Portable communications device Gadget
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Tire

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,165 Posts
The most gain in watts will be because your wallet will be $175 lighter.

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
Some people hack their bikes to become more aero. I've seen plenty of DIY disc wheels using ABS plastic/cardboard, and I've even seen some people creating their own rear fairings like those of the Trek Speed Concept. I've also seen those aero bar "arm cups" using toilet paper rolls.
Seriously?
I've never ever ever seen someone do this. Sounds ridiculous.

I'm thinking of something like the TriRig Delta Aero Cover. Their wind tunnel data shows a decent amount of aero gains
Really? Do they sell bridges too?
What is a 'decent' amount of gains?

GCN did this a while ago. Their results? ZERO gain.
Aero gains are FAR more complicated than slapping some DIY crap onto a non aero bike.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Making the rider more aerodynamic is far bigger returns...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts