Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· your god hates me
Joined
·
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is there any downside to these gizmos?

I've read 1 or 2 anecdotes about quick-disconnect links coming undone at the starting line of a race (!) but as far as I can determine that's not a common enough occurence for me to worry about. I'm more concerned with whether they affect longevity/durability of the chain or cogs, or if they affect shifting, or... well, anything that might be viewed as a negative.

Any reason I shouldn't consider one?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
none that I know of. I had a mavic chain [made by wipp] break on me a couple weeks ago, but it was where I had added 2 links (my fault) not at the connex link. That's the only thing I ever had happen in years of use.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
None that I can think of. I also like the KMC quick link as well. The main thing to be concerned with when using a Wipperman is to install it in the right direction. It is an asymmetric link (as opposed to the symmetric KMC) so if you install it backwards you might encounter some issues in the smaller cogs.There have been a couple of posts here and in bikeforums regarding this.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,161 Posts
none...

Just be sure that you get one that fits properly if the chan doesn't come with the link. A lot of folks put together poor fitting choices, like the one already mentioned, a SRAM powerlink with a DA chain. A connex link can be put on backwards and won't work properly with an 11T cog when it's on backwards.

The links that fits each brand of chain has been covered a lot of times.
 

· Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
I use a ConneX chain and link on my mountain bikes, and despite all the chains I've busted on those bikes, I've NEVER had a failure from a ConneX chain or link.

The ConneX link locks nicely in place as well so it really won't come unsnapped accidentally.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,866 Posts
If you install the link correctly it will be fine....I've used Wipperman chains for my Campy bikes for several years. I find them noisy for the first 100 miles or so. Some are noisier than others. I had a rider pass me in the opposite direction yesterday and I could hear his chain. I was going to ask him if it was a new Wipperman. About the only good thing about Wippermans that I can think of is the Connex link installation method. I pack a spare link with me in my saddle bag. I used it once when I broke a chain, and I rescued another roadie who had broken his.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
C-40 said:
Just be sure that you get one that fits properly if the chan doesn't come with the link. A lot of folks put together poor fitting choices, like the one already mentioned, a SRAM powerlink with a DA chain. A connex link can be put on backwards and won't work properly with an 11T cog when it's on backwards.

The links that fits each brand of chain has been covered a lot of times.

+1 make sure you install it correctly... i.e., in the right orientation
 

· Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Most folks here report pretty positive expereinces, as do others I have spoken to but I'll add a dissenting voice.

I used them for maybe 2 years but then had a chain-break (only one I've expereinced) at the link sprinting up a hill. I wasn't injured and maybe I happend to install it bwards? who knows... After that I immediately had a couple of issues with "sticky" links (connect widgets seemd to compress the surrounding plates too much and lube wouldn't make it smooth).

So I decided to go back to tried and true DA chains and work a bit harder at chain maintenance - but it hasn't turned out to be a big deal... When push comes to shove the silly things cost about what a tire costs... and I swap tires quite often by comparison.

Funny - I suspect peoples own experience - good or bad luck with equip or setups - plays a pretty big role in likes and dislikes when statistically speaking bad stuff is bound to happen with any choice you make... How's that for an optimistic perspective?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,161 Posts
wrong link...

Your post is an example of what happens when you use the wrong link on a chain. My guess would be the "Shimano compatible" (10S1) connex was used on a Shimano chain. Bad choice! As you found out, this link is too narrow to fit across the inner plates of a Shimano chain. What's needed is the Campy compatible model. Both are intended to fit Wipperman chains, but a little measurement reveals that the Campy model fits a genuine Shimano chain (or old Campy 10 chain) and the narrower model actually fit a Campy UN or SRAM chain.

A properly fitting connector link will have .004-.008 inch of side clearance, easily check with feeler gages.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
I like ConnexLink and use it for 6 years. The same my son. Our experience was quite good till last 10 days (once link has opened 400meters into the ride but it was installed upside down, so it does not count). Then My son's chain broke at the link without no apparent reason and trashed his Cosmic Carbone wheel :( Link was installed properly and not overly worn (the same as chain).
C-40 said:
Your post is an example of what happens when you use the wrong link on a chain. My guess would be the "Shimano compatible" (10S1) connex was used on a Shimano chain. Bad choice! As you found out, this link is too narrow to fit across the inner plates of a Shimano chain. What's needed is the Campy compatible model. Both are intended to fit Wipperman chains, but a little measurement reveals that the Campy model fits a genuine Shimano chain (or old Campy 10 chain) and the narrower model actually fit a Campy UN or SRAM chain. A properly fitting connector link will have .004-.008 inch of side clearance, easily check with feeler gages.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Wipperman Connex link for 10 speed doesn't work on a Shimano (Ultegra) 11 tooth cog. 12 tooth cogs and larger work fine, but the chain skips badly every time the Connex link passes over the 11t cog. Others have noted this problem as well.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,555 Posts
SFK said:
Wipperman Connex link for 10 speed doesn't work on a Shimano (Ultegra) 11 tooth cog. 12 tooth cogs and larger work fine, but the chain skips badly every time the Connex link passes over the 11t cog. Others have noted this problem as well.
As said in posts #5 and #8, only if you and those others you mention have it installed backwards (or upside-down, depending on how you look at it).
 

· n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,627 Posts
FBinNY said:
The only downside is that you have to remember that there is a down side, meaning toward the sprockets when installing them. Installed correctly they're a proven reliable item.
Just remember frown down. The Connex link needs to look like a frown when installed on the lower (down) side of the chain.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,683 Posts
al0 said:
I like ConnexLink and use it for 6 years. The same my son. Our experience was quite good till last 10 days (once link has opened 400meters into the ride but it was installed upside down, so it does not count). Then My son's chain broke at the link without no apparent reasonand trashed his Cosmic Carbone wheel :( Link was installed properly and overly weared (the same as chain).
Everything has a shelf life (likely shortened when if disconnected).
 

· Unsafe at Any Speed
Joined
·
456 Posts
Advice sought please, off topic but maybe not.

I got a nice freebie from the LBS : a shop soiled Connex 10-08 chain, similar to one I have used earlier with success.

This one came without link, unfortunately.

I have a new KMC link for it but it is too narrow by maybe 0.2-0.3mm.

Are there any objections to filing down the chain's side plates to obtain more clearance?
 

· chamois creme addict
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Pieter said:
Advice sought please, off topic but maybe not.

I got a nice freebie from the LBS : a shop soiled Connex 10-08 chain, similar to one I have used earlier with success.

This one came without link, unfortunately.

I have a new KMC link for it but it is too narrow by maybe 0.2-0.3mm.

Are there any objections to filing down the chain's side plates to obtain more clearance?
I would object :shocked:

You can buy the correct Wippermann link just about anywhere, look for the one with the engraving "10 speed". Filing the sideplates is an extremely bad idea.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top