Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Road & Trail Warrior
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered this Harley Benton GPA-100 compact power amplifier from Europe... I'm in Canada.
To power my guitar pedal board...

Even though the voltage in Can is 110, I ordered it anyway despite this warning:
"This item runs exclusively on an operating voltage of 230V and therefore requires a voltage transformer to run in your country of Canada."

Can anyone recommend one of these " power transformers"?

馃幐 Harley Benton GPA-100

Registered
U will need a step down transformer, matching 230/240V outlet to plug it into (with mounting box), fuse and some wiring. .... or you can just get this...

gazing from the shadows
Did my comment about just meeting the minimum strike some as being about the specifics of this case?

Registered
His comment was the transformer/device must 'meet or exceed the wattage of the amp" is correct. The transformer should be larger rating than the device (the amp). I think you got it backwards.

Russian Troll Farmer
Don't forget that not only is European AC usually of a higher voltage, but it's also a different frequency (50hz as opposed to 60 hz). Make certain that any "Current transformer" (as opposed to just a "voltage transformer" deals with that as well. Putting incorrect frequency current into delicate electronics will ruin them very quickly.

Registered
I didn't realize that, but that one I posted takes care of that issue in the description.

Registered
Sadly, greed is largely the reason why there is a frequency difference between EU and USA. Fortunately, most power adapters today can deal with anything from 100-240V and 50-60Hz.

Russian Troll Farmer
Sadly, greed is largely the reason why there is a frequency difference between EU and USA. Fortunately, most power adapters today can deal with anything from 100-240V and 50-60Hz.
Greed? How TF could greed have anything to do with it? 100+ years ago, there was a myriad of AC frequencies used, everything from 16 2/3 hz to 50/60 hz. 25h hz was common for AC rail catenaries in this country, and was used until the mid 80's. In the end, lower frequencies tended to hum more, so regular line voltage was set at 60hz in the US (by Nicola Tesla, because he preferred things that were divisible by 3...), and 50 hz in Europe, probably because it made the math easier, and was more 'decimalized' than 60 was....

Schuylkill Trail Bum
Greed? How TF could greed have anything to do with it? 100+ years ago, there was a myriad of AC frequencies used, everything from 16 2/3 hz to 50/60 hz. 25h hz was common for AC rail catenaries in this country, and was used until the mid 80's. In the end, lower frequencies tended to hum more, so regular line voltage was set at 60hz in the US (by Nicola Tesla, because he preferred things that were divisible by 3...), and 50 hz in Europe, probably because it made the math easier, and was more 'decimalized' than 60 was....
Greed, by wanting 10Hz more than Europe.

/all I got

Registered
Yea, but with 10Hz more, then the amperes are less. You will never win, it's always something.

Registered
Yes, many competing standards existed early on, while some consolidations were for technical reasons, there's this between AEG corporation in Germany and Westinghouse Electric in United States in maintaining market share:

"The use of 50 versus 60 Hz is purely due to historical reasons, with companies in the US making 60 Hz equipment and those in Europe making 50Hz equipment so that they have a monopoly. This rivalry led to the split you see today."

Greed as best explained by Gordon Gekko:

Schuylkill Trail Bum
I blame that ornery rascal Edison's disdain for AC as the standard in the USA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts