Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's got a new album coming out next month which should be pretty good. It's a mix of old and new songs which were recorded live at the North Sea Jazz Festival in 2004 with the Metropole Orkest. He's got a few songs on his official website www.elviscostello.com . It also comes with a suite of Il Songo. Should be pretty good!



joe
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
He's got a new album coming out next month which should be pretty good. It's a mix of old and new songs which were recorded live at the North Sea Jazz Festival in 2004 with the Metropole Orkest. He's got a few songs on his official website www.elviscostello.com . It also comes with a suite of Il Songo. Should be pretty good!



joe
I have Spike on my mp3 player. Listened to it on the commute home today.
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,143 Posts
Get Happy!

Hey Joe!
I thought that was Elvis Costello on your previous avatar but I wasn't so sure. Get Happy! is one of my all time favorite albums! One of my favorite CD box set is Elvis Costello & the Attractions 2 1/2 Years (It's got a cool live CD). The last time I saw live him he was touring with Burt Bacharat [?] and he kind of fell of my radar with the string quartet thing. Thanks for link and I'll be sure to check it out.

BTW, I have, but it needs to be repaired, Elvis Costello-type glasses.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JaeP said:
Hey Joe!
I thought that was Elvis Costello on your previous avatar but I wasn't so sure. Get Happy! is one of my all time favorite albums! One of my favorite CD box set is Elvis Costello & the Attractions 2 1/2 Years (It's got a cool live CD). The last time I saw live him he was touring with Burt Bacharat [?] and he kind of fell of my radar with the string quartet thing. Thanks for link and I'll be sure to check it out.

BTW, I have, but it needs to be repaired, Elvis Costello-type glasses.

Yeah, my last avatar was Costello. The creepiest picture of him that I could find, to be specific ;)

He got a bit of flack for changing things up so much with North, then Il Songo, and then he goes and does a country-ish album with The Delivery Man. He threw a lot of people off, but I dig it. He's never stuck with anything for too long, and something like this had to come sooner or later.

ANd Bill, Spike is an awesome album. McCartney was in on that one.



joe
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
this popped a fond memory

was just a teenager but already into the Punk /New Wave Scene coming out of England. Elvis and the Attractions were on SNL 1977, started one song (the one SNL producers wanted "Less than Zero" I think), Elvis stopped them calling B.S. and goes straight into radio, radio. one of the greatest moments in pop culture. does anyone else remember it?
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
The elvis with REAL talent.

yes what a great musician. Fun to see him collaborate with Sir Paul. He did that classical record with him (post E.C. Brodsky Quartet, post P.M. Liverpool Opera) and an interviewer who obviously loved Elvis but disliked Paul was clamoring about "Do you think Mr.McCartney is trying to achieve some sort of musical legitimacy and immortaility by suddenly switching to classical" (which just showed she's paid no attention to Wings and how P.M started using classical composition vs. the standard verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus refrain of pop music)
and Elvis replied."ma'am he wrote the greatest pop song in history (Yesterday) I think Mr.McCartney's immortaility was assured years ago"
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
atpjunkie said:
was just a teenager but already into the Punk /New Wave Scene coming out of England. Elvis and the Attractions were on SNL 1977, started one song (the one SNL producers wanted "Less than Zero" I think), Elvis stopped them calling B.S. and goes straight into radio, radio. one of the greatest moments in pop culture. does anyone else remember it?

I wasn't even born when that happend, but I had the video of it on my old comp. I'll have to find it again, as I remember it being kind of dificult to come by as more than just a short clip.

Suposedly he was banned from NBC for that stunt. I don't know if that's true, but apparently he wasn't invited back on to NBC for something like 12 years. But he went back on SNL and did Radio Radio with the Beastie Boys for their 25th aniversary show (found the link of the interview ( http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/s/stomp_and_stammer.021101a.html )

If I find the clip, I'll PM you. Til then though, I've got to head to school.





joe
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
well you have no idea then

cause music was dead. same old Prog Rock and Disco. the Pistols got the ballrolling from the Ramones and Richard Hell and suddenly music was getting interesting again.
then they give one of the new ambassadors a shot at the big time (SNL) and you have to remember this is 1977, New wave doesn't exist yet. Elvis Costello and the Attractions are still labeled Punk. So imagine you are only 1 of 3 kids in your school who listens to this stuff and get harassed for it daily. This happens on SNL, Elvis pretty much bucks the mainstream and does nothing but reaffirm that you are truly on to something special. yes send when you find.

watch the movie SLC Punk sometime. Pay attention to the flashback sequence at the end. It truly captured the feel of what it was like to be 14 and discovering a whole, cool new world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
My Aim is True

JoeDaddio said:
He's got a new album coming out next month which should be pretty good. It's a mix of old and new songs which were recorded live at the North Sea Jazz Festival in 2004 with the Metropole Orkest. He's got a few songs on his official website www.elviscostello.com . It also comes with a suite of Il Songo. Should be pretty good!



joe
I remember hanging out at the record store (Turntable in West End) when this album came out and they had it in the window. He kinda looked like a cross between buddy holly and elvis with the knock kneed stance, definately different for the time. Great album, sorry I never saw him in concert. He was just here in Nashville a couple of weeks ago too, not crazy about the new stuff. What ever happened to the attractions?
 

·
E Plurbus Elvis
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
True Story

Back in the late '80s, I worked in a chain of record stores/head shops in the DC area. Elvis popped in one day and began browsing the wall of cassettes. He mentioned some semi-obscure folk band [God, I wish I could remember this detail] and asked if we had anything by them. My manager and I looked at each other completely bewildered --- I mean, this was Elvis Freaking Costello asking for ... FOLK music?

The man was years ahead of us record store clowns.
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,143 Posts
Black Flag on SNL

Hey Apt,
I tottally forgot about that Elvis apperance. Anyway, I do believe Blag Flag made an appearance on SNL too. I think John Belushi wanted them on. Man, I think I'm dating myself. :(
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
here I'll date myself worse

Keith Morris era flag or Henry Rollins era? but I don't think they did.

FEAR did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Keith Morris era flag or Henry Rollins era? but I don't think they did.

FEAR did.

ah, Fear. I can still hear the echoes of "I don't care about you", "let's have a war", and "beef bologna". If richard virenque had a bit more of Lee Ving in him, he wouldn't be so.....virenquish.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
atpjunkie said:
Keith Morris era flag or Henry Rollins era? but I don't think they did.

FEAR did.

Keith Morris was the real Black Flag, maybe Dez and Chavo, but Keith was my favorite.

Speaking of which, I saw the Circle Jerks a few years ago as the origional band (except for the bassist, which was Zander), which was friggin awesome.

And as for FEAR, one of my friends from early on in college, his cousin was in a band that was playing with FEAR, so we got to go back stage, and, in one of the greatest moments in the history of the world, I had a beer with Fear. And it was good.



joe
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
a friend of my wife

was married to Keith Morris (I think - I never met her)
yup good ole days.
"New York's Alright, if ya like saxophones"

my great punk rock moments.

being in a tatoo parlor with Dave Vanian acroos the street from the Mabuhay Gardens
having a 3 AM meal with the Dickies and telling the waitress to ask them "How is Stuart doing?"
going to Jello's wedding
drinking with Joey Sh!thead (DOA played the wedding) and Chuck Biscuits
Playing a Gig with X.
Tipping a pint with Steve Jones
Having to cock block Billy Idol who was hitting on my girl. (my friend traded tees with Steve Stevens)
backstage with Stiv Bators (Lords of the New Church era)
watching my brother steal Joey Ramones baseball bat
seeing Darby Crash's last gig

ah that was fun. thanx for prodding the memory.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
atpjunkie said:
was married to Keith Morris (I think - I never met her)
yup good ole days.
"New York's Alright, if ya like saxophones"

my great punk rock moments.

being in a tatoo parlor with Dave Vanian acroos the street from the Mabuhay Gardens
having a 3 AM meal with the Dickies and telling the waitress to ask them "How is Stuart doing?"
going to Jello's wedding
drinking with Joey Sh!thead (DOA played the wedding) and Chuck Biscuits
Playing a Gig with X.
Tipping a pint with Steve Jones
Having to cock block Billy Idol who was hitting on my girl. (my friend traded tees with Steve Stevens)
backstage with Stiv Bators (Lords of the New Church era)
watching my brother steal Joey Ramones baseball bat
seeing Darby Crash's last gig

ah that was fun. thanx for prodding the memory.

Unfortunatly I missed the good ol days.I would have loved to see the Germs. I went through a few years where they were pretty much all I listened to.

When you saw Darby, was it with The Darby Crash Band, or did you actually see the Germs? I'm pretty bummed that I missed out on all the good stuff.

I bought an Adolescents album a few months back, it's a vinyl of all their early demo stuff. The record is great, and in the liner notes it's got all of this great stuff that was happening right around here where I live (Fullerton, Anaheim). Just to think that this place was where so much was going on... you wouldn't think of it today.

I don't know if you know who they were, but the Middle Class are from right up the street here, and one of the members owns a store in Downtown Fullerton called Out Of Vogue (their 'hit') where he sells all kinds of vintage stuff. Pretty cool place. There is a pretty rich punk history around here, it's all just under the surface.



joe
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
saw Germs

but final performance was with The Darby Crash Band. He was so wasted they duct taped the mic to his head. yeah Adolescents were cool, but to me when the SoCal scene hit it was the beginning of the end. It all went into regimented, near fascist monochrome. Skin head, 16 eye Docs (oxblood) 2" cuff in your levis, wife beater with plaid shirt around waist.
The creative element of punk died. But there were some great SoCal groups, but to me the scene went downhill in a hurry.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
atpjunkie said:
but final performance was with The Darby Crash Band. He was so wasted they duct taped the mic to his head. yeah Adolescents were cool, but to me when the SoCal scene hit it was the beginning of the end. It all went into regimented, near fascist monochrome. Skin head, 16 eye Docs (oxblood) 2" cuff in your levis, wife beater with plaid shirt around waist.
The creative element of punk died. But there were some great SoCal groups, but to me the scene went downhill in a hurry.

The skinhead scene in HB killed a lot creativity, and beat the crap out of a lot of people. So. Cal. had a great movement though, and created a brand of music that was their own. Personally, as much as I love the Germs, I blame Darby for a lot of the disconnect between fans and bands. He became a legend even before he died, and was separated from the people. I think that caused a lot of the problems that broke a lot of the scene up.

As for OC bands, the Adolescents and especially the Descendents and Social Distortion, the pop element was integrated a lot more, which made it more accessable to more people, but if you look at the area and the time it took place in, it was really radical.



joe
 

·
Arrogant roadie.....
Joined
·
4,232 Posts
atpjunkie said:
was just a teenager but already into the Punk /New Wave Scene coming out of England. Elvis and the Attractions were on SNL 1977, started one song (the one SNL producers wanted "Less than Zero" I think), Elvis stopped them calling B.S. and goes straight into radio, radio. one of the greatest moments in pop culture. does anyone else remember it?
I remember it well. I was still in high school, one of the minority "punkers" in my otherwise drab suburban sh*thole. Back then EC was a snotty semi-punk, and we loved it.

Went to se him on the tour they did after "This Year's Model" came out. Actually met him briefly at the local punk club in town ( aplace called "Scorgies", long since closed) after the show. He got pissed at the people who kept bugging him for autographs, loudly swore at them and stormed out of the place.
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,143 Posts
My bad

atpjunkie said:
Keith Morris era flag or Henry Rollins era? but I don't think they did.

FEAR did.
It was FEAR. My bad. :(
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top