Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have knee pain I have been dealing with for several years. I have very pronated feet and thought the specialized shoes could help me due to their 1.5mm varus built in. I still have pain after using the specialized shoes and after adding extra varus inserts. After going to several professional bike fits, I am thinking one of the only things I didn't do is get a custom insole. There is a esole dealer in my area I could go to. So, any experiences with custom esole out there? Did they help anyone with tracking issues? I also realize I may have to get new cycling shoes since I don't know if the custom insoles will work with the specialized shoes which have a 1.5mm varus built in.

Daniel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
I wouldn't get your heart set on a set of Esoles solving all your issues. I have a set (had my feet fitted for a pair at Signature Cycles in NYC), and while they increased my comfort, they haven't completely solved the foot and knee alignment issues that I have. I am running wedges under my cleats even with the esoles and I have actually ordered a second pair with 2 deg more of varus to be able to eliminate some of the wedges.

The leg and foot does some complex things when it's subject to the forces of pedalling and no static look or measurement will be able to capture all of that. Often, the forces that cause your foot to have an issue are generated elsewhere in the leg, hips or back.

I would suggest that you see a very good fitter and have them dynamically fit you and see if that can't cure your knee issues. Esoles will make things more comfortable, but they aren't a total fix absent a dynamic look at your pedalling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in New York City and if I would get the esoles it would also be with Signature Cycles. I have had professional bike fits before and I am just kind of disillusioned by them. Both times I had a big fit they placed my seat 2cm higher than I usually ride it and I started having tremendous pain behind the knee. I have come to believe they can only get me 90% close to my right fit and I have to figure out the other 10% myself.

Having said that, I wouldn't know how to figure out the amount of wedges or varus that I need. Maybe I can see if Signature Cycles will look at my pedaling and advise me on that. Hopefully they won't charge me their complete bike fit price, since they are so expensive.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top