Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 04 Devinci podium it is equipped with Campy Veloce. I have no experiance with Devinci or Campy. The bike will be mainly used for my 50 km commute to work and back and the odd weekend ride with friends.

Does anybody have any opinions on the bike good or bad?

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
gtscottie said:
I am looking at a 04 Devinci podium it is equipped with Campy Veloce. I have no experiance with Devinci or Campy. The bike will be mainly used for my 50 km commute to work and back and the odd weekend ride with friends.

Does anybody have any opinions on the bike good or bad?

Thanks
Well I ride the Apex and my wife rides the Podium. Both feature largely the same frame construction, though mine has a cheaper Al fork. I can say that I love the ride comfort as a true training-style bike for plenty of LSD. Defies the stereotype of Al frames being too stiff. One problem is the lack of room for installing good fenders (lotsa rain here), and I'm gonna spend a few hours making Al brackets to retrofit fenders. I also slapped on some tandem rims/28C tires to plush out the ride quality and toughen the bike for problem-free riding on rough stuff in rain season. Nice thing is that this bike is also just fast enough to race and climbs admirably. It's the cheapest bike brand sold around here given the component level (maybe only in Canada pricing?) - makes them a very good value. If you get the urge to upgrade to a better frame, the whole Devinci bike won't have cost much more than just buying the same parts alone for a custom build. Sizing: they don't come in 1cm increments like a custom, but ya can't have everything. My bias in favour of Al over steel in these moderate price ranges continues. Not so chichi, therefore probably not so much a target for thieves that know bikes.
50km ride each way? You the man :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shockee said:
Well I ride the Apex and my wife rides the Podium. Both feature largely the same frame construction, though mine has a cheaper Al fork. I can say that I love the ride comfort as a true training-style bike for plenty of LSD. Defies the stereotype of Al frames being too stiff. One problem is the lack of room for installing good fenders (lotsa rain here), and I'm gonna spend a few hours making Al brackets to retrofit fenders. I also slapped on some tandem rims/28C tires to plush out the ride quality and toughen the bike for problem-free riding on rough stuff in rain season. Nice thing is that this bike is also just fast enough to race and climbs admirably. It's the cheapest bike brand sold around here given the component level (maybe only in Canada pricing?) - makes them a very good value. If you get the urge to upgrade to a better frame, the whole Devinci bike won't have cost much more than just buying the same parts alone for a custom build. Sizing: they don't come in 1cm increments like a custom, but ya can't have everything. My bias in favour of Al over steel in these moderate price ranges continues. Not so chichi, therefore probably not so much a target for thieves that know bikes.
50km ride each way? You the man :)
Thanks for the info. Not so much the man it is 50km round trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.