Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this spring, I purchased a Motobecane through Bikes Direct. Yesterday, I started to do a deep cleaning of the bike. When I went to remove the Ultegra 10 cassette, it wouldn't slide off. It wouldn't even budge. Whoever placed the cassette upon the wheel obviously forced it on the paw. The wheel and the cassette are probably ruined. Does anyone have a phone number to contact them about warranties? Does anyone have any experience with their warranty department?
Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Does anyone have a phone number to contact them about warranties? Does anyone have any experience with their warranty department?
Thanks ahead of time.
Nobody has their phone number, because they don't give it out. Several people may say that they had it, but deleted the e-mail. I have tried every method of obtaining a phone number, but they won't give me one. This is exactly what makes me leery about buying from them.

Please keep us updated on how this goes. I am interested to hear if they actually do anything about your problem.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Is it truly F'ed up or did torque cause the "teeth" of the cassette to dig into the cassette body? If really a problem the cassette body can be replaced- not a real big job, your wheel is not ruined.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FatTireFred said:
Is it truly F'ed up or did torque cause the "teeth" of the cassette to dig into the cassette body? If really a problem the cassette body can be replaced- not a real big job, your wheel is not ruined.
I don't think it is torqued, because the spacers on the cassette that allow it to slide on the paw aren't in the correct position. I am not sure how they got it on. I should take a picture. I don't think it is anything BD did. It probably occured at the factory. My overal experience with BD has been very positive, but you always worry about warranty issues with a company on the net. I am confident they will take care of it though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't know if this helps you...

but a friend of mine bought the wrong size from them.He contacted them by email and had an answer within 24 hours. He packed the bike up sent it back and had his refund to his card within a week - and his correct size back at his doorstep (after reordering once he was refunded) in 10 days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have American classic hubs? If so probably I'd bet that the cassette has just dug into the aluminum freehub body (hey, that's the price you pay for lightness). If you have a chain whip tool you can try to force it back the other way until it undigs itself, then you'll probably be able to pull it off. I just like to tell myself it happens because I'm so strong.:)

·
Racial Profiler
371 Posts
climr said:
Do you have American classic hubs? If so probably I'd bet that the cassette has just dug into the aluminum freehub body (hey, that's the price you pay for lightness). If you have a chain whip tool you can try to force it back the other way until it undigs itself, then you'll probably be able to pull it off. I just like to tell myself it happens because I'm so strong.:)
That was my thought as well.

If it is the AM Classic hubs, the freehub shell is very easily replaceable. If it's still working fine, I wouldn't worry about it until it causes a problem. Just wiggle the cogs and they should come off. Your cassette should be fine, your wheel should be fine... you just may need a new freehub body.

You might have a better response from American Classic. They've gotten back to me within hours when I had a question.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Superior Time Repsonse

I did get a response back from Bikes Direct in a timely manner today. It took them less than an hour to respond. They had me contact American Classic. American Classic sounds like this is a common problem with their rear hubs and cassettes. Apparently the cassette is a harder metal than the paw part of the hub, and the torque causes this. They have been very helpful as well.

Thanks for your reponses.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I did get a response back from Bikes Direct in a timely manner today. It took them less than an hour to respond. They had me contact American Classic. American Classic sounds like this is a common problem with their rear hubs and cassettes. Apparently the cassette is a harder metal than the paw part of the hub, and the torque causes this. They have been very helpful as well.

Thanks for your reponses.

good to know.

the pawls are inside the hub. I believe you're referring to the freehub body, which has splines that the cassette slides onto. and yes, aluminum freehub bodies with shallow splines can get marred by the cassettes, which is why ShimaNO used to have ti freehub bodies until they went the 10s DA bodies, which have deep splines and are alloy.

·
Racial Profiler
371 Posts
weiwentg said:
which is why ShimaNO used to have ti freehub bodies until they went the 10s DA bodies, which have deep splines and are alloy.
Yeah - whatever they changed didn't help. I have a 10sp DA (7800) rear w/ Ultegra cassette. About 1000 miles on it. Pulled the cassette off last night, and I have all kinds of neat teethmarks from the free cogs.

Yay for technological advancement.

I thought the DA's were still TI when I bought them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.