Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried any of the chinese carbon frames selling in EBAY?

I'm looking at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=320348985566

The geo seems to fit and need something inexpensive. It seems very close to some of the Scattante (Performance Bikes) frames. I've also looked at Pedal Force and Motobecane Immortal frames and seems that their wholesale price is comparable to what this manufacturer is selling for.
In terms of performance, is there really that much difference (for the "enthusiastic" rider) between a brand name and a generic? All I know is this same factory makes frames for "other brand names" and my guess is thses are last year's "left overs"

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I've heard of a lot of misses with those frames. You could get a good one. If I remember correctly, the Motobecanes are made in Taiwan, and the retailer is someone you can get ahold of easier. I'd go that route (or the bottecchia's by the same company)

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I know lots of people who are getting screwed by lots of sellers in China. Buyer beware, because there is nobody who can support you. In the past month I have heard of a dozen or so cases where someone was either scammed by the Chinese seller, their credit card # was stolen, or the product was of lesser quality than what was advertised.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I know lots of people who are getting screwed by lots of sellers in China"

Wow,... very broad statement.

I would be interested in finding out more about it and the specifics. How did you hear about it? DO you know them personally? were the sellers getting positive feedback? how many sales had been completed? was the merchandise never delivered?

I have only been able to contact 4 buyers (takes a while to email people and get responses) who are very satisfied... so far. They've only had the frames about 1 month or less so it's hard to tell. I plan to contact a lot more but wanted to see if people had personal experiences and not just speculation.
thanks for your thought.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I hear about it every week.
I'm in Taiwan, so many of my friends and neighbors are doing business in China.
* Friend is trying to import components to Brazil. He had 4 suppliers run with his money.
* A Friend's factory was set up in China. Once he was established, the government discontinued his license and took over. They kept the brand name and gave the factory to someone who is operating it with substandard materials. This is true with several people I know.
* A large company had massive amounts of material stolen... which was traced and ended up on PRC military vehicles.
* A german company was struggling to get its employees to follow the correct manufacturing process, which led to defects
The list goes on and on.
One of the main issues is that in the PRC there is no framework set in place to discourage illegal or dubious practices in OEM enterprises and other businesses. Local and national party members are leveraging these companies against other companies and the state to generate vast personal wealth at the expense of foreign companies or companies that don't play ball. As a single party state there is no alternative and no means to discourage what types of business practices will or will not be tolerated. People can't throw the bums out if they are hurting the local economy. The melamine scandal demonstrated that regulations will only be enforced when is causes the government some form of international humiliation. These regulations are not enforced evenly and therefore many manufacturers would rather run the risks and hope everything works out. Enforcement is dealt with in the political, rather than statutory sphere. With the bicycle industry there are several companies that are experiencing difficulties. China's government made the decision last year to greatly increase the tariffs on materials for foreign owned companies, tariffs on such material as carbon fiber. This decision was made to help local companies assume control over foreign owned companies and in many cases when a factory was closed, the owners had two weeks to vacate and the machinery was left in place and a new "owner" took over with the same Chinese employees. When foreign buyers do have a dispute with a Chinese firm, there is little they can do, but cut their losses. My buddy's factory was dealt with this way and now he is millions of dollars in debt as his entire investment has been seized. He actually had to divorce his wife to save her and his children from the creditors. Before dealing with a Chinese company it would be wise to check with the American Chamber of Commerce in whichever area the company is located. They may have more information available. http://www.amchamchina.org/

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it looks like the same frame I'm considering. The review seems positive. The frame appears to be about 160 grams heavier than the "performance" frame, which I expected based on the price. I've gotten more responses from Ebay buyers and they seem happy.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.