Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when you think you got it all figured out another twist. I was getting ready to have my LBS order the parts to build up a set of wheels. DT swiss hubs/ DT revolution & comp spokes / Velocity aerohead rims. Currently I'm riding on Cane Creek Aerohead wheels that are about 3 or 4 yrs old. They got a bit whacked in a nice little crash in 2004, but still hold pretty true after replacing a bent spoke. The rear hub has always had a little drag, even since new. I contacted Cane Creek about a rebuild on my hubs and asked if they could do something about the drag. They responded very quickly and said a rebuild with cx-ray spokes would be $125 a wheel ($85 with DB spokes)and they could make the hubs spin smooth. Does anyone out there have any experience with the cane creek wheels with the cx-ray spokes. These would be the Volos team build on their site. I'm wondering if I should get the rebuild and also buy a less expensive set of wheels than I was planning on. I don't race and don't NEED high end wheels, just want something with reasonabale weight and reliability. The CC wheels would be nice for the mountain pass rides. I do want 2 sets so I have backups.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With four sealed cartridge bearings on the rear, there is bound to be some drag from the seals (even after the break-in period). Using CX-Ray spokes will not get rid of that (I have both the Volos Sterling SS and the Volos Sterling Team Issue). If you really hate having the drag, you might want to look into wheels using loose bearings and cups.

Corrections: I just read that you've the Aerohead, which uses the older Cronos 2.5 hubs (which has two sealed, cartridge bearings on the back). But above still applies.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
CX-rays are widely touted as being the best so I think you'd be ok with them. Also, seal friction isn't a big deal... if they aren't gritty, don't worry about it...

Volos Teams look like a reasonably solid build (assuming you are of avg weight), but you could certainly find something cheaper and more durable for every-day abuse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts