Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason I ask is I'm building up my fixie to be a SS for cross. I have ample clearance in the front and plan on using a racing ralph there. Rear I only have room for a700x30c tire. I have a Ritchey speedmax on now but it s*cks. I don't want to spend a bunch and need a 30c tire, so the Kenda fits the bill. If they don't s*ck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've used a pair of these on my commuter and for training on my cross bike. They're fairly inexpensive, lightweight, and have held up quite well. Skinny, with pretty minimal traction, so they work well in dry conditions, but can get a bit dicey in the mud (which you'd expect with any 30mm tire). I like wider tires, so I haven't tried many other skinny tires and don't have a lot to compare them to. So, in summary, if you need a 30mm tire, I would say they don't suck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
They're alright, but the Ritchey's are bit nicer. Basically about the same tire, though (obviously) not exactly. I think the Ritchey's are a bit stickier and seen to grab grass just a little better.

They corner well and are pretty fast. I've used them over a lot of terrain. While I prefer a wider tire, they do well at 30mm.

What is it you're comparing them to that makes you think they aren't any good?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've used them quite a lot, mostly for training, fine for dry conditions or paired with a front knobby for mud. You can often find them discounted down to less than $15 each so they are a really good deal for a relatively light raceable folding tire, suprisingly supple for a cheap tire. I have found them flat-prone for rough and rocky riding, but that's the tradeoff for a light low tpi tire without any kevlar-type protection. Mary McConneloug used to race them with a tubeless setup and it didn't seem to slow her down much-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamtech04.php?id=tech/2004/probikes/mcconneloug_seven

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think they're not any good. I don't have any opnion on them at all, hence my ?. Sounds like I'll give them a try. At less than $20 at worst they'll be cheap training tires. My Ritchey's are about shot anyway, so I have to replace it with SOMETHING...

·
Registered
434 Posts
When I asked what you were comparing them to, I was referring to the Ritchey's, as you seem pretty unhappy with them. Just wondered what you had tried and liked, as you seem pretty unhappy with them.

I think you'd have to go with a Michelin Mud, Vittoria, or something along those lines, to move into something different than the Ritchey. Kenda's seem to be their take on the Ritchey, nothing much different.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry. Mis-understanding. I have this "thing" w/ Michelins-don't like them. I was also considering Scwalbe's CX pro lites. I just don't want to spend $30-40 on essentially a training tire. Yes, I'm cheap.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I hear you, the tires can get expensive really quickly. I have run a Kwick on the back with a little nicer tire on the front for training. Just a thought. I think it helps to run a front similar to what you'll race, so you know how it will act. Plus, the front doesn't wear that quickly, so it'll be around for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.