Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,229 Posts
Those wheels are virtually worthless for any purpose. They flex from side to side and are not very well constructed. The older Spinergy "Rev - X" type 4 spoke wheels were pretty decent for cross, I would not spend much on those either as they tended to fail at he rivets and are no longer legal for road racing as far as I know. Plain old 32 spoke wheels are nice for cross, you are not traveling very fast and just need something fairly light with a good hub that tolerates pressure washing and grimy conditions.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I'll second the motion for just about worthless.

Flexy.
Cheep.
Did I mention flexy?

Stay away from em unless yer gettin them for free.

M

· Administrator
13,168 Posts
Terrible- that's the sound I am looking for.

Cross wheels need to be strong and easily repaired. Campy or Shimano hubs, 32 spokes, 3 cross, box rim (like an open pro or DT RR 1.1), handbuilt is better, but machine built ain't the end of the world.

:)

· Registered
4 Posts
I tried to get a replacement rim on 5 year old wheel and the customer service JERK laughed at me and said those were so old...they did not have replacements and the UN-conventional design allows no other rims to lace over. So basically my $800 wheelset that was ridden very little, it worthless cause' it has a flatspot and cant be relaced.

He was very rude and did not care one bit. I say the company as a whole SUCKS.

By the way, anyone ever try trueing one of those POS wheels?

Good luck, Sam

· Registered
92 Posts
I wrecked a Spox front wheel on my cx bike in a car accident and emailed them about replacement rims as well - was told they have a discount trade-in program. If I were to do it, I'd get the non-fiber spoked wheels (like the Stealth SS or the Xaero Lite's) just because I am highly suspect of any wheel's ability to stay true with fiber spokes.

Yeah, I was truing those Spox after pretty much every ride and they were next to worthless. The only thing that sucks now is I am out a wheelset till I find replacements or do the trade in, which, while being a good deal, isn't worth too much if you don't have liquid assets to take advantage of it.

I will say though, they were light. Assuming they weren't rubbing your brake pads, they were decent wheels, but I'm more of a "sprinter" on the road (I guess) and I wouldn't dream of trying to win a local crit on them.

· Registered
34 Posts
Lol

My used cross bike came with them, and to tell the truth, I kinda liked the feel. Very supple and light. Very light. Problem was the first ride was about 80 miles with some road, and at about mile 60 I hit a pot hole in the road and the spoke blew a chunk through the rim about a half inch square.

Even though I had a reciept for the factory rebuild less than two months before, they said I must have had them tensioned too high, and there was no warranty. Adding insult to injury, they had no new rims available, so I was out in the cold.

Sold on ebay, sent to Italy, never again.

· Cycling Boob
1,004 Posts
had them for a while. boy got so many compliments regarding about how cool they were or whatnot. but, i just couldnt feel any difference. they mention that because the hubs and flanges are in the center, there is less rotational inertia to pedal against. for some reason, i felt just as fast or even faster in my regualr performance titans. go figure.

climbing otu of mountain, they felt pretty okay to me. im a lightweight by the way ~140 so its probably because of that

· Registered
1,194 Posts
I worked at a shop where we sold these things to old fat guys to go with their ultra stiff carbon fiber rigs. They're perfect for riders who don't get up out of the saddle much to sprint or climb. It's the best wheel to have if you have an expensive bike, and you want to go out for some coffee on it. Totally inappropriate for cyclocross, these are all show and no go. This is one of the most problematic wheels I know of, failure wise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.