Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I raced in my first ever bike race at the Sea Otter Classic! I live in Alaska, so the only training I've been able to do has been on a stationary trainer. Let me tell, you, I got my a$$ handed to me. That first climb right out of the gate was a killer and I never seemed to recover from it. I did however get into a groove and ended up finishing the race (even though I was lapped) unlike some other quitters out there. I now know that I have a long way to go and a lot of work to do. Any other Otter-goere, please chime in w/ your experiences.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sea otter

i too rode my first road race at Sea Otter this weekend. I did ok, but there were a lot of guys that bagged the race after 3 laps. I did all 4, so my placing was misleading. Apparently no one was tracking how many laps people were doing and guys were getting posted having not completed the entire race. Oh, well. I still had a good time!
PS - How did you like the wall?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wall

The wall is the main reason that I got dropped....er...I mean lapped....er....I mean smoked.....oh wait, none of that sounds good. I think you're right, after loooking at the results, it seems that they just lumped all of the DNF's w/ everyone else. Oh well, I also had a great time. I didn't give myself enough time to warm up and I obviously have not been riding hills enough. I would like to ride it again next year with a complete year of racing under my belt. Talking w/ one of the masters guys, he said that this was a pretty tough course to start out on, but I figure, you have to start somewhere, right? I'm one of those head first kind of guys and it sometimes gets me in trouble. As the old saying goes "Nowhere to go but up!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts