Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
261 - 280 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Im new to this and Fuji

Im thinking of buying a Fuji Sportif 1.1 2013 compact off ebay, 50cm frame. Only thing im concerned about is iv herd Fuji Sizes are weird, Im only 5ft 4 and usually fit a 50cm but am unsure as iv heard the stand over height is big?
help help would be much appreciated as I want to get this bike as it looks really good and its a great price, just worried about the size.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The way the geometry is set on that bike, I recommend even going a bit smaller than that. Im 5'7 but with a shorter inseam but a decent reach and I ride the the "50cm" on their SL-1 Pro and a 52 on their SST. It would appear that on Fuji's website their small is a "49" with an effective top of 51.5. So you might be able to get away with it!

Is this the Disc brake version or just the regular road version?

The reason I ask is because the road version comes in a "46"

Fuji Sportif 1.1 C Road Bike - 2013 - Fuji

Fuji Bikes | ROAD | ENDURANCE SERIES | SPORTIF 1.1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your help
Its the road version 2013, I know they do a smaller version but as im buying it second hand was just wondering what your thoughts were on the 50cm as thats the only one second hand.
I just dont know if il be able to get away with it or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yea thats totally understandable. If you arent sure, I wouldnt necessarily pull the trigger. Stop by any performance bike if you have one near you as Im sure they have a bunch you can try for size purposes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Latest additions to the Fuji Stable
Phew, those are damn beautiful ...

Altamira, and what's that, SST or Fondo? I have SST myself, but still couldnt tell apart SST and Fondo if they're not side by side. Looks more like SST though ...

How's the ride compared between those 2? Is there any particular reason to own both?

EDIT : Here's from this morning ride, just got this used Firecrest 404, a great upgrade from my old Chinese Carbon Clincher, but the Shimano brakepad is not that great, gonna try Swisstop Black Prince next ride.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel

With zipp 404 and Ultremo ZX plus latex tubes, I managed to drop the weight from previous setup to a hair under 15lbs, not the lightest, but light enough for me.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greetings,

I started with a 1985 Fuji Espree which I'm rebuilding now. The frame developed a tiny micro-fracture at the top of the left seat stay and the right cable guide (rear derailleur) on top of the bottom bracket tube has started to detach. I've stripped the frame and fork of all parts and will be sending the frame and fork out to a frame builder for the repairs and new paint. Then it will be a fun winter project reassembling the bike. I've got a new Suntour rear derailleur and grease guard bottom bracket to use for the rebuild. It's been a great workhorse bike that I still use for commuting and those trips where I need a full touring road bike. I put over 3,000 miles on it this year (2014) including two centuries.

My main road bike is a 2008 Team Fuji which I purchased this year. I'm enjoying it a lot!!! It has a carbon frame and fork with a number of "upgrades". These include a Ritchey WCS carbon handlebar, complete SRAM Force 10-speed drivetrain (including brakes), and Shimano Ultegra wheels that can handle both clincher and tubeless tires. It's my first bike with indexed shifting (I feel like I'm a little late to the party). ;-D

I love the index shifting of the rear derailleur. But I'm not too thrilled with the indexed shifting of the front derailleur and think I would prefer it to use a friction system for perfect fine-tuning as I ride.

I also think the move to more and more cogs on the rear cassette is insane. I ride lots of hills and like a wide gear range---but a 10-speed cassette seems like way too many because the steps between gears are so small. The newer 11-speed cassettes seem downright stupid (maybe I'm missing something). It makes me think that the race to add more speeds is just a marketing gimmick used by bike manufacturers to give buyers a perception of superiority.

There is one more bike in my family and it is a Fuji also (a 1985 Fuji Sagres). I do all of the maintenance and repairs for my family's bikes because I've had some bad experiences at my local bike shop. Because of the high miles I put on my bikes, they need frequent attention and I've got the tools and experience to handle most jobs. The last thing to learn is wheel truing and I'll be buying a truing stand in a few months. All told, I have four wheelsets to maintain and some need adjustment.

It was a tough decision whether or not to stay with Fuji when I bought my carbon bike this year. I'm familiar with the company's history and realize that the Fuji of today is far removed from the original Fuji. The deciding factor was that Fuji's carbon frames today have a decent reputation at the upper end of their product line and my 2008 Team Fuji was one of the best values that I could find. I was seriously considering a new bike but then I wouldn't have been able to afford an all-carbon frame nor a drivetrain as nice as I have. The idea of buying an aluminum frame was appalling to someone like me with lots of experience on a really, really good quad-butted steel frame. Even with a carbon fork, I feared the aluminum frame would still be miserable. So far, I'm very happy with my all-carbon Team Fuji. It seems like a very good compromise between being light weight yet still strong. I'd have been afraid to use one of the "featherweight" frames because I'm a big guy (6'2, 210 lbs). Both my Fuji's have 58 cm frames.

That's probably more information that most will want to read. I guess the important thing is, "Yes, there is another Fuji owner out there---me!"

Kind regards, RoadLight

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Roadlight, thanks for telling your story. I went from a classic steel bike, a Bridgestone RB-1 to a Fuji Newest (aluminum frame, carbon fork) nowhere near the same feel. Slowly I decided to get a full CF frame bike. Ouch, the cost. Then I found a 2012 Fuji Gran Fondo that the owner wanted to unload. They had become interested in running, so I got a great deal on the bike. Winter has limited some of my riding but so far I like the feel of the Gran Fondo 4.0.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
This was my first road bike I started on last year it's a 1977 Fuji Sports 10 this is the best picture I have of it.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Sportiff 1.1 with 700x35 cross tires and a Fuji Cross 1.1..tossed some cross tires on the Sportiff to see how it would do on some gravel rides
Hey TonynTX I know this was an older thread but am in the process of getting a Fuji Sportif 1.3 or 1.0. I really wanted to put 700 x 35 Clement X'Plor USH tires on and didn't know if they would fit, Or if I had to go with a 700 x 32 tire. How is the clearance with the 700 x 35 cross tires on? Thanks in Advance! BTW very nice looking Bikes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
First road bike I've ever owned and first non trek bike period. Wanted a 105 group set without breaking the bank since I sink so much disposable cash into mtb. Picked this Fuji up yesterday, weather was rough this morning and a storm was coming so I just did a quick 6 mile blast around the neighborhood and I'm in love. When I get a couple hundred miles on it to decide what I dislike I'm going back for a full fitting and probably raise the stem just a bit. The sportif seating felt better to me but I preferred the quicker handling of this one over it.

Only road bike I've owned but 20# rock stock vs my mtb which is 27# after 2k in aftermarket parts is amazing to me haha.

Don't make fun of me with the plastic peddles. They were the stock peddles on my wife's specialized and all I had laying around til I get back to the shop and get good peddles and shoes.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just bought this beauty from Sun & Ski who had it on clearance (2013 Model) plus $75 worth of accessories. So far, I'm loving this bike. I've put about 70+ miles on three rides I've done. All I can say is wow!

Fuji Roubaix 1.5 (2013)

261 - 280 of 287 Posts