Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday guys

Looking at getting a new computer and was considering a Garmin 530. However, it's been out for 3 years now, and I would not be happy if I bought it and Garmin released a new model 3 months later.
Anybody heard any rumours of new models in the near future?

Regards to all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why worry. Often when a new series is being released the older models drop in price, while then new models are $50 more than the old. The 530 is a pretty reliable unit, maybe wait a month and watch for deals.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
They just released (or about to) the new 1040 solar so I think the 830/530 units will be the next to be updated...I'm waiting.

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts
The 1040 Solar is really good, and I like it a lot more than my old 530. Easier to use, set-up, and see. I would not buy a new 530 right now.

·
Neophyte
2,211 Posts
The 520 was great, somehow managed to be superior to the 520 Plus (I think it had something to do with trying to cram some features into the Plus without giving the CPU a bit more oomph)... do you still get good battery life from it? That would be a surprise to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's actually still pretty good, but it only gets 1 - 1,1/2 hours a day. It works fine, but I just figured something newer with better resolution would be good.
Dont know if theres a significant improvement in screen resolution on newer models. I'd research that closely. An advantage to mediocre resolution is the screens use less battery power, is why newer Garmins are 24-45 hrs. The Hammerhead Karoo 2 has a much better screen but is lucky to see 10-12 hrs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I’m a believer in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. They way things are, it’s as if you buy something, shortly later it’s outdated. Or designed to be old soon.

Lately if I find a good product, that won’t be sun-setted by software updates, I’ll buy another. Rarely do I get burned by this methodology.

Battery life is another planned obsolescence. I had some outstanding Polar bike computers until Polar made battery replacement cost prohibitive-then quit making bike computers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am the first to admit I don't use half of the features on my 520, and I wouldn't be upgrading for any added features. I just wanted to upgrade to a bit newer tech really (and the auto brightness feature, my ride alternates between bright and dark)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I went from my 530 (with elevation issues garmin couldn't address) back to my 520 and haven't missed a beat. I'm really interested in that new Bryton S800 but waiting on more reviews.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,012 Posts
I'm a troglodyte still rocking my Garmin 800 lol. I had to replace the battery a while back but it still works fine for what I use it for, namely routing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the first to admit I don't use half of the features on my 520, and I wouldn't be upgrading for any added features. I just wanted to upgrade to a bit newer tech really (and the auto brightness feature, my ride alternates between bright and dark)
I'm going to hunt with my folks next month and was picking up some 300 Blackout ammo today from .300 AAC Blackout Ammo - GritrSports.com (I live really closeby) and asked your question. Folks there told me that I'm pretty fine sticking to 520 unless I want some extra features.
If it's not broken, why fix it. I've been running 520 for god knows how long( for both cycling and hunting, didn't let me down once - pretty much EDC at that point) and not planning to switch to anything till that thing is dead :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, like I said, if I am honest with myself, I don't use half the features of my 520, and it is still going strong. The main reason I would be keen for a newer model (as pitiful as it sounds) is for the auto backlight. My route alternates from dark to light and it would be great to have it adjust automatically.
Not much of a reason I know......... (apart from a new toy is always nice)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The main reason I would be keen for a newer model (as pitiful as it sounds) is for the auto backlight. My route alternates from dark to light and it would be great to have it adjust automatically.
Not much of a reason I know......... (apart from a new toy is always nice)
I mean, if you have free cash floating around - maybe go for it. Sounds like a decent reason to get an upgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts