Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be staying in the Tempe / Phoenix area for 4 days and would like ideas on good road rides in the area. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was just there a few weeks ago. I found this link to be pretty helpful and gave me a lot of options. The ride up South Mountain was definitely worth doing. As a warning, I thought some of the roads were pretty bad - there are bike lanes but people drive very fast. Stay off the main roads if at all possbile. Enjoy the sun!

http://www.sportsfun.com/gaba/ridemaps.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply

pappymd said:
I was just there a few weeks ago. I found this link to be pretty helpful and gave me a lot of options. The ride up South Mountain was definitely worth doing. As a warning, I thought some of the roads were pretty bad - there are bike lanes but people drive very fast. Stay off the main roads if at all possbile. Enjoy the sun!

http://www.sportsfun.com/gaba/ridemaps.html
Bad as in condition of roadway or traffic?

·
Registered
72 Posts
road hog said:
Bad as in condition of roadway or traffic?

A little of both. There are a lot of bike lanes, but some are kept cleaner than others. The traffic seemed fast, with little regard to speed limit. I was in Chandler and the southern routes were a bit better, and South mountain itself is about 8 miles up with a nice new road and minimal traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again

pappymd said:
A little of both. There are a lot of bike lanes, but some are kept cleaner than others. The traffic seemed fast, with little regard to speed limit. I was in Chandler and the southern routes were a bit better, and South mountain itself is about 8 miles up with a nice new road and minimal traffic.
Thanks again...I'll be out there tomorrow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
back from the Arizona ride

pappymd said:
Just curious to see how the riding was...
Thanks for asking... the riding was great! I had been looking at that website and used the maps, but they weren't that good. I used a bicycle route map I got from the city of Phoenix. It was much better. The roads were in pretty good condition and traffic wasn't too bad. If you are ever out there again...climb South Mountain!

·
Registered
72 Posts
road hog said:
Thanks for asking... the riding was great! I had been looking at that website and used the maps, but they weren't that good. I used a bicycle route map I got from the city of Phoenix. It was much better. The roads were in pretty good condition and traffic wasn't too bad. If you are ever out there again...climb South Mountain!
Yeah, I did South Mountain when I was out there. It was great, but a little deceiving in length. I kept thinking the top was right around the next bend. Coming down was a lot of fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts