Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am visiting families for a week. would like to rent a bike and do some exploring. any suggestions for a rental shop and places to ride would be appreciated. thanks.

·
CarbonFrame
401 Posts
Fyi

Fort Myers is in Lee County. I followed the link and there is very little trail information on that website. There is a cycling club called the Caloosa Riders www.caloosariders.com if you contact them they may be able to tell you where some nice routes are.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
I usually go bike on Sanibel when I'm in Ft Myers Beach visiting my p's place.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
CarbonFrame said:
I followed the link and there is very little trail information on that website.
Sorry, just passing on what someone had given me.

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Ugh. I lived Florida for a couple of years. Let's just say you won't need your climbing gears. You can ride up and down the coast, and ... up and down the coast again ... or down and up for variety ...

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We have ridden a fair bit in and from Fort Myers. Not our favorite but there are quite a few miles of wide (and empty) bike trails. Traffic sucks and the place is indeed dead flat-ask whom ever you rent from for suggestions.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
There's a skybridge in Ft Myers Beach you could use for some hill repeats.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
180 said:
I usually go bike on Sanibel when I'm in Ft Myers Beach visiting my p's place.
The new Causeway has a bike lane. Really nice. From the mainland side of the causeway to the tip of Captiva (with a detour through Ding-Darling) is a nice 45 mile ride.

Here's how I do it. It's an out and back, so just re-trace your steps. Stay off Periwinkle.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2684967

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am bringing my garmin 705, probably map out some rides with bikeroutetoaster or mapmyride and go from there. i am looking forward to it. The weather here in Seattle has been crappy for the last month, lots of rain and snow in some area. I check the weather in fort myers for the next 7 days and it's going to be in the 80's. i am packing my summer cycling gears to go. thanks for all your help.

·
CarbonFrame
401 Posts
No Worries!

OldRoadGuy said:
Sorry, just passing on what someone had given me.
Sorry if I sounded abrasive. I just went to the site and saw that it didn't offer much so I thought the link I posted might help. I grew up in Fort Myers, however I haven't lived there in several years. The place is flatter than a pancake! Funny... when I to ride there, the wind was always the big resistance factor.
Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts