Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having to fix two flats yesterday I'm less than pleased with my cheap CO2 inflator. I'm inclined to go back to a frame pump, but my new bike doesn't have a pump peg. Are there any good tricks for simulating one that won't mess with the frame decals on my new frame?

Ric

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
ric426 said:
After having to fix two flats yesterday I'm less than pleased with my cheap CO2 inflator. I'm inclined to go back to a frame pump, but my new bike doesn't have a pump peg. Are there any good tricks for simulating one that won't mess with the frame decals on my new frame?

Ric
A couple of thoughts. First, a hose clamp (with a bit of tape on the inside to protect the decals) might work. Not in the peg hole, but just below the handle. Depends on the shape of the pump. The other option is a velcro cuff around the top tube to hold that end in place.

·
Registered
195 Posts
try the topeak road morph - it works about 10 times better than any frame pump i've ever used, and it's not that big. has a little relatively accurate inline gauge and kind of transforms so the pump action is like that of a floorpump.

seriously, it is better / faster / easier / more accurate than every frame pump i've ever used, including classy silica's and other italian jobs people pop boners over all the time.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,897 Posts
'99 Schwinn Peloton

toomanybikes said:
A zip tie.
My '99 Schwinn Peloton didn't come with a pump peg and like 2manybikes said, I used a zip tie. I have an old Silca frame pump and positioned the "bump" of the zip tie around the headtube of my bike where a pump peg would have been. Viola! Instant pump peg. The cool thing is you can probably find a colored zip tie to match your bike.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Second the Topeak Road Morph. Comes with a strap mount which spans the fattest tubes, has a flexible hose connection from pump to valve, and a flip-out foot peg allowing you to pump against the ground. Doesn't weigh much more than an inflator plus two cartridges.

I've also seen a full-length frame pump recently in a LBS which comes with a strap-on pump peg. Can't recall the brand, though.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Why not get a full sized frame pump like a Zefal or Silca, and mount it vertically on your seat tube? You can, or used to be able, to buy these in different lengths to accomodate different frame sizes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've got a Zefal HPx that I used on another bike, but it's too long to fit along the seat tube. Plus, there are decals at both the top and bottom of the seat tube on the inside of the front triangle and being a Ti frame they're not protected by any coating and wouldn't last long. That probably sounds a bit anal, but it's a new frame and doesn't have any battle scars yet. I threw a zip tie around the head tube last night and that looks like it'll work if I put a patch of clear vinyl tape under the zip tie head to keep it from slipping around the head tube and releasing the pump at some bad moment. I haven't seen any Ti colored ties though, so black'll have to do.
Thanks for the tips!

Ric

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ti color zipp ties..... I guess it is that same mentality to lead you to using CO2..... If you do use the zipp tie along the top tube make sure you still use a velcro strap to hold it tight or else once again you might learn the hard way.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
g-Bike said:
Ti color zipp ties..... I guess it is that same mentality to lead you to using CO2..... If you do use the zipp tie along the top tube make sure you still use a velcro strap to hold it tight or else once again you might learn the hard way.
I guess I should have put in some smileys to make it clear enough that I was kidding about the Ti colored zip ties, but I'm not clear on what you mean by "that same mentality to lead you to using CO2". Is there really a difference between pump users and CO2 users? How can you spot it? What about the ones who use both?

Yes, I fully realize the need for a velcro safety strap.

Thanks.

·
Master of flip comments
1,737 Posts
A zip tie. With explanation

ric426 said:

Ric
I don't know how long your pump is or where you want to put it but if you want it along your top tube just take a fairly larger "gauge" zip tie and put it on your head tube. Snip off the "tail" flush and put the head of the zip tie where you would normall see a pump peg like in the photo. Viola. I've done this for years without any "safety strap". I can't recall ever dropping my pump but it may have happened....

That will work if your pump is long enough to compress to fit snugly against the tie.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a Serfas MP20 pump mounted on velcro fasteners on the side of my rack trunk. On other road bikes I got tired of not having built-on places to put a pump on like old racing bikes had. What is it with this industry anyway? At any rate, when I figured out what I wanted, I got a custom bike with rack eyelets so I could mount a rack, and I got a rack trunk to put stuff in. I like to take fast rides, and carry fresh fruits and healthy snacks with me. I also want to carry my pump, spare tubes, tool, tire irons, handkerchief and all the extra room to be able to stow away extra layers of clothing I will take off as I warm up and the say warms up. A seat bag is too small. I hate having bulky stuff in my jersey pockets. The trunk is behind me, I can't feel it back there when riding and it satisfies my desire for practicality.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,388 Posts
ric426 said:

Ric
You might not need one. My wife's bike does not have one and her pump (silca) never falls off. The handle end has an angled slot, and that fits nicely on the seat tube, while the other end wedges against the head tube. Unless you have a freakishly long TT, that should work. This is backwards of the "normal" way of doing things, since the handle usually goes on the HT side on the peg.

If not, an umbrella clip, or the zip tie will work, as you have seen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.