Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mid 80's Merckx with 130mm rear spacing and italian bb. Thinking of using 2009 Centaur with Ultra Torque BB and compact crank. WIll this work?? Have any of the key dimensions changed?? Will the fron deraileur be OK with the compact crank??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Big thing could be brakes, depending on how old the frame is... prolly fine if it's newer than 1990.

Modern brakes are mounted with a short, big fat allen bolt. Older brakes mount with long skinny nutted bolts.

Newer brakes need a big hole.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mostly just diameters, spacings, threadings, and mounts to consider

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
tswei said:
...... Will the fron deraileur be OK with the compact crank??.........
I have a 1993 Schwinn Paramount frame (130 rear spacing) that works perfectly with Dura Ace 7800 10 speed components and a compact crank.

I tried a compact specific front derailleur and it sucked. The stock Dura Ace front derailleur worked much better.

Brake worked fine on rear.

As I sit here thinking about it, I did put a carbon fork on the front so can't say if brake would have worked on original fork.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 92 paramount is rolling with Chorus 10s no problems. I still have the original fork and modern brakes work fine.

MerlinAma said:
I have a 1993 Schwinn Paramount frame (130 rear spacing) that works perfectly with Dura Ace 7800 10 speed components and a compact crank.

I tried a compact specific front derailleur and it sucked. The stock Dura Ace front derailleur worked much better.

Brake worked fine on rear.

As I sit here thinking about it, I did put a carbon fork on the front so can't say if brake would have worked on original fork.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
tswei said:
I've got a mid 80's Merckx with 130mm rear spacing and italian bb. Thinking of using 2009 Centaur with Ultra Torque BB and compact crank. WIll this work?? Have any of the key dimensions changed?? Will the fron deraileur be OK with the compact crank??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.:confused:
you should have no worries at all...The brake reach is likely not an issue..as long as the distance from the brake mounting hole to the center of the rim is 39mm-49mm, modern Centaur brakes will work fine.....

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Everything will work, no problem. I've got an early "80's DeRosa that I put a new Centaur group on and everything works well. The front derailer is a braze on and it works fine with the compact crank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe not the best idea but I have an 91 Peugeot PE10 Tourmalet that has 120 rear spacing that I spread the rear to 130 so I could fit modern wheels and a 10sp cassette.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
I built up an 84' Ciocc Designer with 9-speed Ultegra/Dura-Ace components and had no issues with fitment. It has a spanking-new Ultegra SL crank and BB. No issues at all, best thing I ever did for this bike.

I'd say do it.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I've got an '87(I think) steel frame with all new components. 7800 and 6600 mostly. Works just fine.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I've got a late 70s Panasonic commuter with Campy Chorus 8spd. Works & rides great. An excellent commuter. I couldn't use the Campy brakes because the bike originally had 27" wheels. I bought some long reach dual pivot brakes from Nashbar, put Kool Stop pads on them, and they work almost as well as my Dura Ace brakes on my race bike.

BTW, there's a post above that correctly indicates the brake bolts won't fit on older forks. I drilled my fork out to fit the bolt. Worked like a charm. In case you're concerned about weakening the fork, I'm a clyde, ride a fairly loaded commuter bike, and did this operation 3 years ago. The frame & fork are steel.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
BTW, there's a post above that correctly indicates the brake bolts won't fit on older forks. I drilled my fork out to fit the bolt. Worked like a charm. In case you're concerned about weakening the fork, I'm a clyde, ride a fairly loaded commuter bike, and did this operation 3 years ago. The frame & fork are steel.
By the 80s, Eddy Merckx was drilling out the rear brake bolt hole in his forks to fit a recessed 5 mm allen nut with the long sleeve, like today, so modern brakes will work.

Not a big deal, but if you give up the nice lugged SL fork that came on that Merckx, you'll be giving up a little piece of the bike's personality. Steel forks are just as comfortable as carbon, but they're not "dead." They give a nice bit of road feel. That's what a great steel racing bike is all about. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Fredrico said:
By the 80s, Eddy Merckx was drilling out the rear brake bolt hole in his forks to fit a recessed 5 mm allen nut with the long sleeve, like today, so modern brakes will work.
ever since he opened his factory for business, every Eddy Merckx (BEL) road frameset has used recessed brake binder bolts,front & rear.

Fredrico said:
Not a big deal, but if you give up the nice lugged SL fork that came on that Merckx, you'll be giving up a little piece of the bike's personality. Steel forks are just as comfortable as carbon, but they're not "dead." They give a nice bit of road feel. That's what a great steel racing bike is all about. :thumbsup:
100% in agreement. the stock steel merckx fork is responsible for much of the merckx's superb road feel and character. a carbon replacement fork will only dumb it down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, if everything goes according to plan, I will post some pics when I get done with this project. Thanks everyone!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts