Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this crowd is familiar with Suntour Command shifters. Do they generate any interest nowadays? All things considered, I'm not sure that they're not superior to brifters. Lighter, more dependable, better hood ergonomics, hidden cables. Too bad they're only 7 speeds.

View attachment 47028

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I've never seen those. I do like that they're not integrated with the brake levers (from a crashing point of view you are less likely to be out shifters in a bad crash). I am concerned about when you are riding with your hands on the hoods of the levers interfering with your hand/wrist position. The other thing is the extra hole in the bar and how much it affects bar stiffness in the drop and long term durability of the bar. Lastly the act of shifting itself doesn't look totally ergonomic. Overall they look pretty cool and functional. Perhaps you could clear up some of my ?'s

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
I've never seen those. I do like that they're not integrated with the brake levers (from a crashing point of view you are less likely to be out shifters in a bad crash). I am concerned about when you are riding with your hands on the hoods of the levers interfering with your hand/wrist position. The other thing is the extra hole in the bar and how much it affects bar stiffness in the drop and long term durability of the bar. Lastly the act of shifting itself doesn't look totally ergonomic. Overall they look pretty cool and functional. Perhaps you could clear up some of my ?'s
They don't interfere too much. About the only time it matters is if you like to ride elbows out, with hands on the first bend of the tops - little fingers closest to the hoods. Not a common position, so no loss. They rest right under your thumbs if your hands are in the 'hood' position, but farther back on the bar. On hoods or on tops, no issues, very convenient.

A downside is in shifting from the drops. Shifts to smaller cog/smaller ring work well enough, your thumb can usually reach the lower wing easily. Going the other way is trickier, and for me usually meant moving that hand up to shift. Still better than the downtube shifters they replaced, and a relatively uncommon move from the drops anyway. You are right, they're not totally ergonomic. If they were designed with some sort of ratcheting mechanism that would always return them to the same position regardless of gear, they could be.

No holes in the bar are needed - a band clamp fits right above the clamp for the brake levers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts