Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I want one. I've owned three other Hondas, and the Fit appeals to me on several levels. Anybody have a horror story to talk me out of it?

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I have one, and it's awesome.
+1

If I had to buy a replacement for our other car, I would probably get another Fit. They're great, if I had the money I'd make them electric but still very handy.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a bike rack for the fit?

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
I've test driven both models (09 and previous) and I want one badly. The old one was terrific, the new one is also terrific.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the older model - a bit less weight and frill, which can be a good thing.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Teammate of mine lays the back seat down and uses a fork mount on a board. I think he rides a 54 and rear wheel pokes in between the front seats but not by much.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
in a year or two i will be int he market for a used one....or the nissan versa...

we have an 8 yr old civic and love it....

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Me and Sogno love our Fit dearly. Our Fit, a 2008, has about 10,000 miles. One problem -- a bad injector -- repaired under warranty. We get a steady 29-32 mpg in vicious LA traffic. Not exactly powerful, and the engine gets buzzy above about 4500, but it's not a complete dog, either. Seats are surprisingly comfortable. And yes, you can fit a heck of a lot of stuff into it...though the trick involving putting the rear seat cushions up so you can haul tall stuff is not as cool as the brochure claims. The car is simply not wide enough to carry a bicycle sideways.

In all, the car strikes me as a direct descendant of my 1976 Honda Civic CVCC. Simple. No nonsense. Fun to drive. Superbly built...though with materials that aren't exactly of BMW/Mercedes quality. It even smells like my old CVCC.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
I picked up some furniture with the Fit the other day. I got in a desk (flat and in it's box), a file cabinet (fully assembled) and six dining room chairs (fully assembled). The guys at the loading dock were shocked that everything Fit in. . :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Anybody with kids have a fit?

I'm finding the utility of fold-down rear seats severely hampered by a car seat.

I look at the fit's trunk area and I figure there's no way that thing will hold a bob stroller...

but man, that gas mileage is nice and it's sooooo not a mini van.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
My wife and I are considering the Fit. She likes the style better than the Civic. Looks small from the outside, but very roomy inside. I test drove an automatic version yesterday and it seemed a little short on oomph. It got me thinking that another 200 lbs of passengers will handicap it even more.

While at the dealer, it gave me the chance to drive the new Insight. Cool car with what seemed like more room inside and better pickup than the Fit. Those Honda paddle shifters are the bomb. The Insight would cost us over $5k more than the Fit.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
one time, a honda fit was featured on the cover of import tuner...that same month, modified mag and sport compact car ran the exact same car (with import tuner logo" as a feature in their respective magazines

hth

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
I think I set the Fit packing record when I went to a bike race last year w/Mr. 138

4 bikes (2 road, 2 TT- he's 6'2", his bikes are not small)
9 wheels (2 sets pit, 2 sets race, 1 disk)
Tool box
Rubbermaid container w/food
Cooler
First Aid kit
1 duffel bag/1 race bag for me
3 duffel bags for Mr. 138 (He sucks at packing)
DSLR camera bag

...I think that's it. We could have stacked some more stuff in on top if we'd needed to.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
I want one but my wife thinks they're fugly and it would mostly be her car so...

I have a (BMX/snowboarding) friend who had one and then he traded it on a Ridgeline and he's always lamenting about wishing he still had the Fit.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
My boss has one and he's a seriously large dude. He and his wife (who is not small) and their 2 kids (11ish and 7ish) use it as their primary car. They love it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have a very hard time considering anything other than a Honda for my next car purchase. Our family is currently on 1 car, down from our accustomed 2 vehicles. THe wife and I both work, on opposite ends of town. I rent cars a lot through my company, so I do have a 2nd car 2-3 days a week often. I bike commute the other days. If I thought the Fit would be able to handle me, the wife, a 9 year old, a newborn, and my bike on the roof, it would make sense.

It's a cool looking car, and I know it's going to be a legend, like those original Civics were, but it just doesn't seem ideal as the main mode of transportation with our needs right now.

But isn't it refreshing to be considering efficient, safe, small cars like this now, instead of the Ford Excursion and Hummer H100 things now?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Andrea138 said:
4 bikes (2 road, 2 TT- he's 6'2", his bikes are not small)
Can one of his bikes fit inside? I'm 6' and if this is the case, the Fit is too good to be true. Had thought about another Jetta TDI but the new Sportwagen, but it's about seven grand more for slightly better mileage. And I could live without the VW quirks for awhile too (not that it's been a bad car by any means).

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Yes, as long as the cables are long enough that the handlebars can be turned sharply to one side, then it can go in the back by itself without taking any wheels off. The way I had it packed in my first example, I removed the wheels, seatposts, and pedals on all 4 bikes.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Wait - you didn't have the four bikes on the roof? What is this, some kind of sub-$20k black hole on wheels that gets great gas mileage? :eek: If I were the Jetta in my driveway right now, I'd be a little worried for my future.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.