Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the 2009 roubaix line up. I was wondering what changes might be filtering down to the elite / comp models... is it likely that they may get the better frame of the expert or not?

Sorry if its a stupid question, i'm just getting into road biking from mountain biking and am after a roubaix elite...but am wondering if it s worth hanging on now to see what the 2009 models are like, or just go for a 2008 elite. (only prob is if i hang on too long the 2008 models in the popular sizes may have gone!) I now for mountain bikes theres usually some sneak previews of the next years models quite early on and sometimes frame / shock technology filters down the models quite quickly. Not sure if this happens with road bikes

·
Registered
50 Posts
2009 Roubaix Elite's are available - see LBS for 2009 catalog

It's been awhile since you've posted.

I'd recommend checking out new info in forum concerning 2009 Roubaix.

Although there's a price increase with 2009 Roubaix elites compared to 2008, you get a better frame.

Your LBS should have 2009 catalogs by now...

I was wrestling between 2008 Roubaix Elite compact vs triple... Unfortunately, none of the LBS in my area had a bike in my size 61cm so only option was compact.

LBS offered to convert compact to triple via swapping out and upgrading components for cost of parts only ( labor free ). That would place bike slightly below $2400. I decided to take plung and upgrade even further.

$1800 2008 Roubaix Elite Compact
$2400 2008 Roubaix Elite Compact converted to Triple ( ultegra components )
$3300 2009 Roubaix Expert SL Triple

I went with $3300 even though it's a difference of $1500:

i plan to keep this bike and ride it for next 5yrs minimum

figured i would upgrade later anyway as i became more experienced, stronger and better rider

to upgrade components to Expert SL level would cost, except i'd have same Elite frame

to sale Elite later for much less than purchased and then purchase an Expert would be more expensive and time consuming than simply getting Expert now ( 1st time around )

Good luck on whatever you decide

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can see 2009 info and pics on this page. Not sure if its 100% accurate, it does seem to match what I recall I read in the store from the 2009 dealer book.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bikes.aspx?Year=2009&Brand=Specialized

The 2009 Elite appears to get the new frame design (note head tube). I was told by the Test the Best truck that Expert and above get the larger down tube and bottom bracket. So Elite would not be as beefy a frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.