Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold my Frankenbike commuter rig for more than I ever thought I could get, so I'm in the market again. I've got my eye on this Panasonic DX2000. I did an RBR search, but found only one thread that mentions the DX2000. (Per Google, Panasonic now makes a sweet laser fax machine also called the DX2000.)

The serial # is 5L08082, so it would appear to be an Osaka-made frame from 1980. According to the owner, it's got Shimano Light Action components. Also:
Sakae "Custom" bars and stem
Sugino VP cranks
Araya 27" rims
Selle Italia Anatomic saddle

The bike is in excellent condition. Just one scratch on the top tube. The owner claims it has been ridden 200 miles, and it appears to be true. Any thoughts on the value? I've seen these frames on eBay in the $60-70 range, and I saw a "Want It Now" add willing to pay $100. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply. The size is perfect for me. The guy is asking $200, which seems a little high. Emotionally, I think it is worth $200 considering all the value-added factors, but $200 seems more than market rate right now. Hmm...
 

·
Unlabeled
Joined
·
3,720 Posts
My son has a DX 2000

team_sheepshead said:
I recently sold my Frankenbike commuter rig for more than I ever thought I could get, so I'm in the market again. I've got my eye on this Panasonic DX2000. I did an RBR search, but found only one thread that mentions the DX2000. (Per Google, Panasonic now makes a sweet laser fax machine also called the DX2000.)

The serial # is 5L08082, so it would appear to be an Osaka-made frame from 1980. According to the owner, it's got Shimano Light Action components. Also:
Sakae "Custom" bars and stem
Sugino VP cranks
Araya 27" rims
Selle Italia Anatomic saddle

The bike is in excellent condition. Just one scratch on the top tube. The owner claims it has been ridden 200 miles, and it appears to be true. Any thoughts on the value? I've seen these frames on eBay in the $60-70 range, and I saw a "Want It Now" add willing to pay $100. Thanks in advance.
I bought a Panasonic DX200 for my son. His is a little newer, has 700C wheels and indexed shifting. I paid a little over $100, maybe $120, and consider it a great deal. I'm very favorably impressed with the quality of the bike.

I switched out the rear freewheel to a new 14-30 Shimano Megarange, put on a new chain, a used Deore rear derailleur, and indexed Barcons. It's a really nice bike now. If it was my size I'd take it back from him.

In the early 80's Panasonic was the only manufacturer that met Schwinn's quality requirements. They made very nice bikes, but American consumers associated the Panasonic brand with electronics and did not buy many of the bikes. Panasonic was a leader in quality and price and the used bikes are still a great value.

Here's a link with some history.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/pana.html
 

·
Unlabeled
Joined
·
3,720 Posts
Local or do you pay shipping?

team_sheepshead said:
Thanks for your reply. The size is perfect for me. The guy is asking $200, which seems a little high. Emotionally, I think it is worth $200 considering all the value-added factors, but $200 seems more than market rate right now. Hmm...
You're right. In my opinion it's worth $200, but these bikes with friction shifting, non-aero levers, and the Panasonic name aren't selling for that much. If it's local and you don't have to pay shipping, $200 is not too bad. You can probably put 20,000 miles on it and it will only cost $0.01/mile.

One thing to consider with a 25 year old bike is that some or all of the spoke nipples might be frozen, and if the wheel becomes untrue you can't properly re-tension the spokes--it's the biggest risk I've seen buying old bikes. The good news is that it looks like 700 C wheels will fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's $200 local; I could ride it home. The seller is a mechanic at an LBS, so it's not a surprise that everything works well. I took it for a test ride and the shifting is smooth, the brakes are crisp. Unfortunately, the "Anatomic" saddle hurts like h*ll. Funny thing is he says he's selling "his" bike, but the guy is about 6'1" and this is a 49cm bike.
 

·
Unlabeled
Joined
·
3,720 Posts
Wave 8 $20 bills in front of him

team_sheepshead said:
That's $200 local; I could ride it home. The seller is a mechanic at an LBS, so it's not a surprise that everything works well. I took it for a test ride and the shifting is smooth, the brakes are crisp. Unfortunately, the "Anatomic" saddle hurts like h*ll. Funny thing is he says he's selling "his" bike, but the guy is about 6'1" and this is a 49cm bike.
the 27" wheels, friction shifting, non aero levers and bad seat are downsides and he knows it. If you hold $160 cash in fornt of him, you'r probably ride away on a nice bike he might even bite for $140.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Definitely make an offer! Buying a new bike that will have the Panasonic's ride quality will cost a great deal more!! I remember I had to pass up a used bike in a LBS once, because I simply didn't have the cash. This was 5 years ago. The bike was my size, had all Shimano 600 stuff, and even had the 600 brifters! $300 .....sob!

So now I have a Schwinn Fastback, basic components and it cost twice that! I wish I could turn back time.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
27" rims are no big deal either

SunCR18, 27" 36H. If the nips are frozen and the hubs are good, rebuild. Now tires, still not a huge problem, Conti 1000s ride nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
I guess its possible.......

team_sheepshead said:
Unfortunately, the "Anatomic" saddle hurts like h*ll. Funny thing is he says he's selling "his" bike, but the guy is about 6'1" and this is a 49cm bike.
that this bike appeared under an indoor conifer one morning in late December when the mechanic was 13. It's also possible he's telling a tall tale......No matter. Set the saddle so that it's level, or with the nose pointing slightly up so that the rear half of the saddle is level, and try another test ride.
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
I'm going to echo what others have said. It looks like a nice bike (but is that an after-market fork? Is there a tubing sticker on the frame? Does it match?).

I am pretty darn sure your LBS employee would sell the bike for $150, and I wouldn't consider that offer a "low ball."

- FBB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
That is the original fork......

fbagatelleblack said:
I'm going to echo what others have said. It looks like a nice bike (but is that an after-market fork? Is there a tubing sticker on the frame? Does it match?).

I am pretty darn sure your LBS employee would sell the bike for $150, and I wouldn't consider that offer a "low ball."

- FBB
Prediction: the final sale price will be between $160 and $180, and everyone will leave the table happy.
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
Prediction: the final sale price will be between $160 and $180, and everyone will leave the table happy.
I'd sign off on that - the happiness to $$ quotient at $160 to $180 would be very high for all involved. Some will tell you the bike's not worth that much, but in terms of pure riding enjoyment, they're completely wrong. Buy it!

- FBB
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
I bought a Panasonic Sport 1000 last Dec. It looks very similar to the one you've pictured here. The components are nearly identical. Mine had "safety" levers and shifters straddling the stem. It came with the same seat, which I made very short work of, and the rims, bars, cranks, etc sound the same to me. The crank has 52 / 42, and a 6 spd freewheel. I've ridden the bike about 1600 miles since last Dec. It's a bit heavy, but handles predictably, and rides very nicely. I use it as my commuter.

I found it at my LBS, where I was looking for something cheap to ride to work in the winter. Somebody had brought the bike in over a year ago for new tires & never returned to pick it up. I bought it for $40, put new cables on it, overhauled everything, (bb, hs, hubs, etc.). I also installed bar tape, downtube shifters, and a set of Nashbar, Look compatible pedals. I figure I've cot less than $100 in it. It's a real nice commuter bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Hey all.....newbie here...

I was just doing a search for Panasonic and came up with this thread. Those pics that Team Sheepshead posted of the Red/silver Panasonic REALLY got my attention!! I just purchased that massive 71cm Panasonic frame off the 'bay and was trying to get some ideas for my build up. I'm sitting here in my office, occassionally leering over at the frame sitting so nicely only a few feet from me....thinking "what shall I do"....I wanna build mine up with quality components....maybe Shimano 600 or go for Dura Ace?? Any suggestions...
BTW....I'm 6'7" 270 and dropping.....that's why the big frame.
Peace...
Chris
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
barndoor said:
Hey all.....newbie here...

I was just doing a search for Panasonic and came up with this thread. Those pics that Team Sheepshead posted of the Red/silver Panasonic REALLY got my attention!! I just purchased that massive 71cm Panasonic frame off the 'bay and was trying to get some ideas for my build up. I'm sitting here in my office, occassionally leering over at the frame sitting so nicely only a few feet from me....thinking "what shall I do"....I wanna build mine up with quality components....maybe Shimano 600 or go for Dura Ace?? Any suggestions...
BTW....I'm 6'7" 270 and dropping.....that's why the big frame.
Peace...
Chris
Hi,

Those Panasonic frames were well built and quite nice. New Dura Ace or Ultegra might be overkill, though. You might want to think of building with 105 equipment; it is beautiful, durable and it works really, really well. At your (our!) size, I might recommend using a set of cyclocross or otherwise heavier duty, 36 spoke wheels. You will also need to decide whether to find a nice set of 27" wheels, or whether to convert to 700C wheels, which would involve finding some long reach brakes.

In any case, this project screams out for stuff from Rivendell, if you can afford it. A nice set of 48cm noodle bars with bar-end shifters and a leather saddle... boy howdy wouldn't those look good on this frame. See http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/ for details.

BTW: Here is a link to a recent build I just did. The frame is a "virtual" 68cm built for me by Allan Wanta. The build components are eclectic, to say the least:

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2006/cc152-forbesbb0906.html

Hope that give you some ideas.

Keep us posted on progress! And put up photos as things move along, if you can.

Thanks,

FBB
6'6", 250lb
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top