Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to a local guy about buying a Trek 790. I'm looking for a touring bike and he says that it's the "Euro version of the 520". It looks like the 520 from what little I've seen of both bikes. But I can't find too much information on the bike. A quick search of the web and this site showed that Trek made a hybrid 790 at some point, and that the 790 might also be a touring bike...but I couldn't seem to find much else.

Does anybody know anything about this bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trek 790

I purchased a Trek 790 sometime in the late eighties or early nineties. I had been riding an Austro Daimler road bike since 1980, but due to having carpal tunnel bilaterally, I needed to get a more comfortable handlebar than the typical drop bar. Although I enjoy a road bike much more, I have found the 790 to be a good all around bike, especially for light trail riding and hills. If you are using it for the road, you will probably want to get a different tire than the one it comes with, as you can feel the knobbies more than you may like. It is of course a bit heavy, but it is also quite sturdy. Although I stopped riding for about the last 13 years, I just recently started again, and got out the Trek to get me into shape. After all these years and nothing more than a tune up at the local shop, it rode like new. The bike is a workhorse and will probably outlast me as long as neither of us end up on the pavement.

·
It's complexicated
1,418 Posts
I've heard there good bikes. Seats too high.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts