Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i flatted yesterday on rubino pros. i about tore my fingertips off getting the damn tire back on the rim. at 31 degrees it was no fun
previusly rode GP3000 and it was not nearly so bad. also had michilen pro race on a bike but did not flat before i sold the bike
anyone have a list of difficulty mounting of various tires?
thanks
jim

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Gommitalia Calypsos - though because they're my new favorite tire, I'm a bit biased - practically fall onto the rim. This might be the case with any open tubular, however.

There's a recent thread lauding the Calypso, so I won't rehash it all here.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Veloflex Pave and Black. I think these are made in the same (Italian) factory as the Gommitalia.

I take mine off without using a lever...on Eurus rims. Supple.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Spunout said:
I take mine off without using a lever...on Eurus rims. Supple.
Oh yeah - even my 20c Gommis don't require a lever.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Maxxis Hors Categorie. Much easier to mount than Mich. Carbons. I don't know how easily other Maxxis tires mount.

·
Registered
425 Posts
jimcav said:
i flatted yesterday on rubino pros. i about tore my fingertips off getting the damn tire back on the rim. at 31 degrees it was no fun
previusly rode GP3000 and it was not nearly so bad. also had michilen pro race on a bike but did not flat before i sold the bike
thanks
jim
Vreds are pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
jimcav said:
thanks
jim
I always have to use my tire levers to get my tires on.. I haven't ruined any tubes doing it either.

Just keep working the tire and rim and when you get stuck - use the lever to live the tire over the rim and onto it. Keep working it closer and closer to the center.. it'll finally go.

I think the chips in my rim are from taking the tires off.. :eek: hehe

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
suprisingly...

I've been riding Michelin Carbons for several years on Velocity rims and are always amazed at how easy they pop on. The first time might be a struggle but after that I can easily get them on without levers...

Of course Axial Carbons on Mavic rims is a whole other story....

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
Not obvious

If tires are tough to mount, make sure that you have very thin rim strips. Rim strips can make a big difference. Also, good old Velox does seem to have a finite life. If you use it and get some mystery flats, go ahead and replace it. It's cheap and easy.

·
Seanahee
40 Posts
Michelin Carbons

Despite all the challenges I heard about mounting these, mine were totally no-sweat (Alex rims) requiring no tire irons at all.

Only two days riding on them, but generally good tires thus far!

·
Registered
51 Posts
SeanH said:
Despite all the challenges I heard about mounting these, mine were totally no-sweat (Alex rims) requiring no tire irons at all.

Only two days riding on them, but generally good tires thus far!
its true w alex rims mounting tires its easy

·
Seanahee
40 Posts
Michelin Carbons

I was pleasantly surprised after reading from several people what a b*tch they were to mount. Took only minutes and no tire lever. Old Kenda's were harder to get off!!

Ride great thus far. I really like the improved "jump" of the bike. I was a little wary about ride degradation -- going from a 26 to a 23 -- but it's just fine.

·
T.R., conservationist
235 Posts
Carbfib,

Are you talking about Conti 4k's?
I am looking for different tires due to the difficulty I've experienced.
???

·
your god hates me
1,541 Posts
jerman said:
Are you talking about Conti 4k's?
I am looking for different tires due to the difficulty I've experienced.
I had heard some horror stories about Conti 4k's being notoriously hard to remove or install, and actually saw a maintenance class interrupted for FORTY MINUTES (seriously) due to one particularly recalcitrant rear tire that stymied the efforts of half a dozen strong-fingered cyclists.

So it was with some trepidation that I switched to Conti Attack/Force tires several months ago. Yet I am flabbergasted at how easy these clinchers are to remove or install! Absolutely trivial. Definitely no need for a lever to reinstall them.

On the other hand, the fact that I have been forced to have direct experience in this ease of removal/installation *four times* in the past 8 months may not be the highest endorsement for this particular tire...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've decided it has more to do with rim than tire. I have a wheel with a wobler Alpine rim, and it is damn near impossible to get tires on, even with levers! I did get a suggestion the other day to pull the bead of the mounted side to the center before trying to get the last side on, rather than leting it seat to the rim. I haven't tried that, but I've been fighting with 3 different tires trying to get one on this rim for a few days now!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have had an easy time with Vittoria's (Open Corsa and Rubino Tech's) on both Mavic and Velocity Rims. I have the Continental trainer tire and it was extremely difficult to put on.

Here is Zinn's take -

By Lennard Zinn
VeloNews technical writer
This report filed March 27, 2007

Thumb power or rim size?
Dear Lennard,
I've been riding for years and racing some along the way. Now my riding habits are decreasing a bit, and my thumbs have gotten out of shape for changing tires. I have Campy Proton wheels (bought them in 2003) and recently got some Continental tires. They were so hard to get on the rim, I took them to the bike store. Even the mechanic there had to pry them on with a tire lever. The mechanic said that even though all 700c rims should be the same size, Campy rims tend to run a hair on the large side while Mavic tends to run a bit small. Is there any truth to this? Are Mavic rims really a bit smaller? Because if so, I think I will switch to Mavic wheels and regain my confidence in changing a flat tire out on the side of the road somewhere.
Asher

Dear Asher,
No, I don't think that's true. I've used lots of Campagnolo wheels over many years, and I've never noticed that they were any tighter than any others. I have some Campy Eurus wheels on one of my road bikes right now that I've probably had for five years or so, and I've changed a lot of tires on it and always by hand, without tire levers.

All rims and tires are supposed to adhere to a plus-minus ETRTO specification that allows a certain range of dimensions to be considered acceptable. If the tire is at the limit of the minus specification and the rim is at the limit of the plus spec, you will have more trouble.

Also, some asymmetrical rear rims (spoke holes offset to the non-drive side of the rim's central plane to reduce wheel dish) will sometimes have a different diameter on one side than the other, presumably because when the rim is rolled, one edge will be quite a bit stiffer than the other and will not hold as tight of a curve given the same bending force. You can see this by standing the wheel up on a flat surface; it will lean to the side with a smaller circumference. Mount the tire on that side.

In my experience, it is usually the tire that is the culprit in a hard-to-mount situation, not the rim (try that tire on some Mavics!). I find that some brands and models of tires run tighter than others. I generally use handmade "open tubular" clinchers and they always go on and off easily by hand even when brand new.
Lennard

·
Registered
147 Posts
Michelin Pros on two bikes with Open Pro rims and I can get the tires on & off without levers ~ but there's a knack to it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts