Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got offered a job in Charleston and I'm probably going to take it. My cousin lives there so I've spent some time there and I really like the city. I consider myself a mountain biker more than a roadie but it looks like that is going to change if I move there because Marrington Plantation is the only mountain bike trail I know of and it leaves a lot to be desired.

Does anyone know what the road scene is like there? What about good bike shops, group rides, routes and etc? I would be staying in the West Ashley area for a month or two but the job is on Daniel Island so I may relocate somewhere else in town after I get a better lay of the land.

Any info would be most appreciated! :thumbsup:

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Doesn't George Hincapie live in Charleston? Or maybe it's Columbia. Anyway, sneak up behind him on a hill and then power past him. It will make George cry.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
azpeterb said:
Doesn't George Hincapie live in Charleston? Or maybe it's Columbia. Anyway, sneak up behind him on a hill and then power past him. It will make George cry.
Greenville. Complete opposite side of the state. Charleston has beaches. Greenville has mountains. Columbia is just hot. Write that down.

;)

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
wooglin said:
Greenville. Complete opposite side of the state. Charleston has beaches. Greenville has mountains. Columbia is just hot. Write that down.

;)
Oops. I grew up in North Carolina and the only thing South Carolinia was good for was a way to get to Georgia. That and football. I don't know how many times I've seen Clemson beat my Tarheels. :D

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ride Cannondale bikes for both road and mountain and the closest dealer to Charleston is in Hilton Head. That blows.

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
iopturbo lived there and I had a great visit with him a few years ago. He worked on building a huge catamaran and took me out via his boat where it was moored and gave me a tour. He hasn't been on the board in a while.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
I recently went to a friend's wedding in Charleston and quickly fell for that city. It's not you typical fast paced city. The nightlife is great and you're really close to the beach.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Charleston is still where my heart is...

I was stationed there at the Naval Hospital in North Charleston (Since closed), and lived on the Isle of Palms....

Spent MANY, MANY great nights there. My favorite town in the US.

BTW- Does anyone know if the Windjammer is still out there on the IOP? What a fun place.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts