Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· The Edge
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HED wheels has released a high-end wheelset with a 23mm wide rim. They claim the wider rim allows the clincher to have a more tubular profile, improving compliance and cornering feel.

Have any of you that have built your own wheelsets with a wider rim (like the Velocity Dyad) experienced this?

I'm in the market for a new wheelset and I'm thinking about going wider, even if it weighs a bit more, because I really like the cornering feel of tubulars.
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Why not just buy a lightweight 700X25 tire?
 

· The Edge
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have lightweight 25mm tires (ProRace 2s) on my bike.

Again, the arguement is that a wider rim allows the clincher to have less of a "lightbulb" shape when inflated and more of a circular cross section. While this may very well be true, my question is has anyone built a road wheelset with wider rims with nice tires mounted to them and felt the difference?
 

· Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
niteschaos said:
I do have lightweight 25mm tires (ProRace 2s) on my bike.

Again, the arguement is that a wider rim allows the clincher to have less of a "lightbulb" shape when inflated and more of a circular cross section. While this may very well be true, my question is has anyone built a road wheelset with wider rims with nice tires mounted to them and felt the difference?
I haven't for MANY years, but I remember the Campy Omega XL (box section clinchers) riding nicer than the MA40s or Ambrosios I had at the time.

In this application, I think its a case of being different to be different.

M
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Weren't the Omega XL's about the same as MA40's? (but shorter sidewalls)
Wider than O4CD
 

· Registered
Joined
·
21,834 Posts
Lightbulbing

niteschaos said:
Again, the arguement is that a wider rim allows the clincher to have less of a "lightbulb" shape when inflated and more of a circular cross section.
Once the sidewall of the tire is "free" from the constraints of the clamping force of the rim, the cross section is inherently circular. A wider rim means that the circle is larger in diameter, so the effect of a wider rim is the same as getting a larger diameter tire. There is no "lightbulb shape" except for the tube as it is forced down into the spoke bed. The tire is always circular from rim edge to rim edge.
 

· Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Weren't the Omega XL's about the same as MA40's? (but shorter sidewalls)
Wider than O4CD
IIRC (and its been a LONG time!) the Omega XLs were 22mm (or so) while the MA40s were 20mm (or so)

I guess I could do a google search, but I'm too lazy right now. My Omega XLs are in storage in Phx or I'd just go measure em! The MA40s are on the GF-mobile right now. 600 hubs with 10sp cassette on em! Talk about a mutt of a bike! 9sp D/A ft/rr derailleurs and cranks, Campy brakes, and now 105 brifters and cassette. Bike mechanic's special!

M
 

· Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
MShaw said:
IIRC (and its been a LONG time!) the Omega XLs were 22mm (or so) while the MA40s were 20mm (or so)

I guess I could do a google search, but I'm too lazy right now. My Omega XLs are in storage in Phx or I'd just go measure em! The MA40s are on the GF-mobile right now. 600 hubs with 10sp cassette on em! Talk about a mutt of a bike! 9sp D/A ft/rr derailleurs and cranks, Campy brakes, and now 105 brifters and cassette. Bike mechanic's special!

M
I have run Vredenstein Tri-comps on Open Pro and MA40 rims. The profile of the tire is different on the wider MA40. The ride on the MA40 was a little rougher but nothing significant. I liked riding crits on the MA40 wheelset but that is mostly personal preference.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
21,834 Posts
Not relevant

niteschaos said:
You bring up a good point, but my observation is that if you hold a ballon by the tip it can deflect much more than if you hold it by the sides.
Your baloon analogy is not relevant. The tire is always anchored at the same place (the bead) and the amount of "pinch" at the anchor points is not going to change much over the range of width of available road rims. The tire will always be round from rim edge to rim edge, and the side-to-side "wiggle" is not going to change in any substantial way.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top