Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive had mine for about 6 monthes now and put around 3500 miles on it. so far no major complaints, the wheels were the one weak point, heavy, on the bike and have since replaced them but besides that its a good bike if you can get a good deal on it. if you have more specific questions id be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I rode a trek 1200 last summer I liked it. (since upgraded to a schwinn fastback pro) like the previous user said the wheels are a drawback. Try and talk LBS owner into upgrading the tires, take him some beer or something.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
I've been happy with mine. I'm starting to think about upgrading my component to 105 or Ultegra, but the Tiagra is still working fine. The 1200 was recommended to me at the LBS as the minimum to start with in STI so I took their advice. A lot of riders are happy with the 1000, and the 1500 seems to be popular with those who are a little more race oriented than me. I would say that you should buy the Trek that fits your budget. It seems no one ever regrets buying better gear if they can afford it. Mine came with Bontrager Select tires and I agree with the previous posters that these should be replaced immediately. I put other wheels on mine, but still run the originals sometimes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Little Man said:
I am going to be purchising a new road bike this spring and was looking at a trek 1200. How is it? :)
You might also want to check out the Lemond Reno. It's within $30 or so, has the same component group, but has a different frame. The geometry is a bit different, and the Reno is just under a half point heavier.

Anyway, it might be worth checking out.

·
Soft
183 Posts
I have a 1200 and like it a lot. I think it's a much better buy than the 1000. I'm riding the stock wheels. I changed the tires to Specialized Armadillos and have upgraded the brifters to 105 (Nashbar has 9 spd 105 brifters for really cheap right now!). I think Tiagra works fine, much better than Sora, and the ride is what you would expect from an aluminum frame. It's a good bike for the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts