Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to polish an old Ti frame that got cable/housing rub and other very minor scratches ? In the case A. Moots type of not-shiny at all finish. B. Merlin/Seven type of satin finish that is a bit more shiny B. Serotta/some Litespeed type of very shiny finish

In my (limited) experience:
- 150 grit sandpaper will leave traces - no good.
- 400 grit sandpaper will leave less marks, but tends to polish too shiny
- 1500 grit is pretty nice and won't leave marks, but it doesn't have any effect in many situations. In particular as soon as more than a minor change of shine is involved, it doesn't do much.
- didn't try in-between, the local hardware store was out of intermediate sandpaper :-(

Are there like chemical compounds that can help restoring the correct finish ? Anyway, anything I can learn about care on Ti frames is welcome.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd check with a manufacturer directly -- maybe Mark Hickey of Habanero Cycles or the guys at Moots.

I'm under the impression that a wet Scotchbrite pad, or equivalent, is exactly what you need....

Neil
Moots rider...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
neil0502 said:
I'd check with a manufacturer directly -- maybe Mark Hickey of Habanero Cycles or the guys at Moots.

I'm under the impression that a wet Scotchbrite pad, or equivalent, is exactly what you need....

Neil
Moots rider...
Scotchbrite is what I use on the Litespeed brushed frames. I haven't tried it wet.

For the high polish finish use jeweler's rouge and a buffing wheel.

TF

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
What the other guys said, plus: If you have a significant scratch on a 'brushed" finish, like a Merlin, I've sanded it out using progressivly finer sandpaper, then restore the brushed finish with Scotchbrite pads. You can get those in varying 'grits' from paint supply houses or off the net, of course. Takes a bit of 'finesse' but work carefully and you'll do a lot better with Ti than with any other material trying to remove frame finish blemishes...the one thing I liked about my few titanium rides..low finish maintence..
Don Hanson

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have used the scotchbrite pads also

Fine, extra fine superfine etc. One of the things i found recently which I thought was odd but effective, my frame was clean, yet after a ride occasionally i would get water spots or the frame just did not look correct, kinda dull. So I cleaned it up and rubbed in a small amount of grease, axle grease. The finish took on a fine satin look like i had worked for hours on it. And I was not getting fingerprint marks, it just gave a deep clean looking finish.

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
If it a polished finish...

...then use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. I used it on my polished Litespeed Classic (surface scratches from velco), and you can't tell where the scratches were. Great stuff!

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
If it's a polished finish...

...then use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. I used it on my polished Litespeed Classic (surface scratches from velco), and you can't tell where the scratches were. Great stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.