Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing wrong with me, physically anyway, but I was just wondering...why does everybody's nose run while exercising during cool/cold weather?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just asked my ENT (ear nose and throat doctor) that question a couple of weeks ago. He stated that there is a bundle of nerves that get stimulated when exercising and causes the sinus' to secretes mucus. This happens whether hot to cold or cold to hot etc...

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Seen this discussed before too. You'll get about a hundred answers ranging from allergies to gravity.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Oddly enough this hardly ever happens to my riding partner. It kills me in the cold, though.

I wish I could find something that effectively prevented constantly tearing eyes and runny nose allergies on the bike.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I did a report thing on it a while ago. Somebody else in here nailed it too in the other thread. It's CIR (cold induced rhinorrhea) and there's actually a nasal spray that they were testing that seemed to work pretty well.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
MWPDX said:
I did a report thing on it a while ago. Somebody else in here nailed it too in the other thread. It's CIR (cold induced rhinorrhea) and there's actually a nasal spray that they were testing that seemed to work pretty well.
My doctor, also my riding partner, calls it "exercise-induced snot thing."

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
why does everybody's nose run while exercising during cool/cold weather?
So they have something to shoot at the slower riders, of course.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I'm just curious why you didn't go for the catchier albeit more obvious title, "Is There A Doctor in the House?."

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Talking about runny eyes... the last ride I did, my eyes were very bloodshot after. And NO, I wasn't smoking anything! Maybe it was the cold (40's and 50's)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts