Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Scagg Tiger Cub and think the electric clutch has gone bad. Is there a way I can test it? The switch itself seems ok, I tested it for continuity open and closed, I can't find any broken or disconnected wires.

The clutch has two(2) black wires running to it, I tried jumping 12volts directly to the clutch to see if it opens and closes but I get nothing. The two black wires make me think it's not as simple as a 12 volt positive/negitive set up.

It disengaged as I was mowing and that was it, dead duck.

Any way to test it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If it's a clutch in the way of an AC compressor clutch in a car then you can measure resistance to see if it's open. It's basically a coil of wire and should be low resistance (<10 ohms I'm guessing), if it's open (infinite resistance) then that's your problem.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
There's a ton of YouTube videos on how to diagnose it. It looks very similar to automotive AC compressor clutches where all there is is a field coil and an air-gap clutch that gets drawn in when the coil is energized. So not a whole lot to it. Even if you get continuity through the coil it still could be too weak to engage or go open circuit when it heats up. Also a large gap could prevent engagement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts