Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you pick up anything interesting from a parts, tires or frame standpoint for this season?

Me first- after 4 seasons, I sold my Orbea custom to a local Tri guy looking to get into cross. The replacement frame is delivered tomorrow- one of the 2010 Speedvagen cross "surprise me" frames. BTW- been dodging spoilers all week on that on thanks to Eurobike.

Other fun thing is a set of the FMB Fango threads in 32mm, to go with my Sprints in 34mm.

·
Fat aging guy on a bike..
347 Posts
I'm building up my first set of tubulars and my first nice carbon wheelset.

Archtek rims, OffTheFront hubs and Sapim everything else. Still deciding on rubber for them as one of the Tufo's I have shed its valve stem...

Sorry for the pitiful pic....

·
Registered
840 Posts
A box from Italy full of newly-reintroduced Minimax tubing arrived the other day. I'll be adding some silver, brass, and elbow grease and it'll be off to paint. I'm psyched to see how the tubing rides out on the course. Also scored some very-lightly-used Eurus tubulars. Snappy. I'll throw some FMB Grifos on there, and they'll be my primary wheelset. I wish Campy consulted with somebody that actually races cyclocross before they decided to offer heavier versions of their heaviest wheels and branding them as "CX" for 2011. A Zonda tubular would have been a great wheelset for cross. Anyway...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Just some Fizik duowrap and new white kit:yikes:

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
Got some lightly used XTR cantilevers from a local shop owner. Not "new" at all I guess, but way better than the old lower end Shimanos and Avid Shorty 4s I'd been using before. Mostly stoked on how well they modulate, for cantis. Good braking on a college budget.

I also have a Volpe I built into a SS commuter, but I might strip off the rack and fenders, change tires, and give SS cross a go, though there's no seperate category here.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kram said:
Just some Fizik duowrap and new white kit:yikes:
Have the Fizik tape in light blue on my road Vagen. I like it, although its already dirty. :(

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Mine is white and black. Cleans up easily, so you'll be OK:p

·
Registered
307 Posts
Brand new Yeti Arc-x, that is being customized at a buddies paint shop right now, i should have it back this week. I also built a set of wheels for it.

pics to follow....

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Kram said:
Mine is white and black. Cleans up easily, so you'll be OK:p
Very sexy. I've got black/gray on my Foxtrot and white/gray on my Look 585.

My new toy is my Origin 8 Foxtrot. Built using Force/Rival driveline, Ultegra cranks, Mavic wheels and Tektro CR720 cantis. Not too bad for a first cross bike, so I guess I'll see how the season goes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just built up a new Ridley X-Fire frame to go with last years X-Fire which will now be my pit/training bike.

I also just picked up a couple sets of FMBs': Grifo 32 and Gripo XL 32.
Now I need to snag one new set of wheels as my primary race set.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is small but a big performance boost. I FINALLY got rid of all front-end squeals and brake shudder using one of these thingies...biggest $5 performance boost ever. After constant fiddling with toe-in, pad compounds, cable routing, etc etc, my brakes have never been more solid. Took the bike out yesterday for some cross practice on the local trails and my brakes are now rock solid. Highly recommended...

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
m_s said:
Got some lightly used XTR cantilevers from a local shop owner. Not "new" at all I guess, but way better than the old lower end Shimanos and Avid Shorty 4s I'd been using before. Mostly stoked on how well they modulate, for cantis. Good braking on a college budget.

I also have a Volpe I built into a SS commuter, but I might strip off the rack and fenders, change tires, and give SS cross a go, though there's no seperate category here.
You will love your XTR's. I have Pauls on one bike and XTR's on another.
The XTR's are not as cool looking but they work great. Very under rated canti.

·
Registered
799 Posts
...a few new items

I picked up a few new items:

New bike frame - wasn't looking for one and didn't plan or need to buy one, but this one came along on Ebay and no one bid on it?? So I grabbed it for next to nothing.

Don't have a pit bike so I thought I might get a 2nd set of wheels this year. Picked up a 2nd set to Token T50's and will be running Challenge Grifo Tubulars on one set and Challenge Grifi XC Tubulars on the 2nd set.

Other than that, still looking for some new legs........

Michael

·
Registered
840 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
This is small but a big performance boost. I FINALLY got rid of all front-end squeals and brake shudder using one of these thingies...biggest $5 performance boost ever. After constant fiddling with toe-in, pad compounds, cable routing, etc etc, my brakes have never been more solid. Took the bike out yesterday for some cross practice on the local trails and my brakes are now rock solid. Highly recommended...
where did you get yours?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
And WTF is it? I can't tell by the pic.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Too much stuff.

Picked up a new larger Scattante frame to replace the one I have so I can actually shoulder the bike if I want/need to (I'm on the smaller side and the XS Scattante I had didn't have enough clearance to get on my shoulder).

Built that up with some new to me Velocity Escapes laced to their hubs and some Grifos for my first adventure into tubular cross. Along the way picked up a second set of Escapes and some Mavic GP4 rims. Those will be laced up soon and will either get Grifo XS (not sure how useful these will be in the Northeast) or Vittoria XM tires (or maybe a spare set of Grifos I also picked up).

Then last week lucked out on a pretty low ball bid on a Tsunami cross frame on Ebay. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll have the finances or the wife's approval to build that up for this season, but it will sit in the garage and wait its turn for glory.

Oh and the super cool Speen Umlenker that converts a bottom pull to a top pull. I believe this little German engineering piece is part of the standard spec on the upper level Blue cross bikes.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Thank you kind sir.

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
Just about everything pictured here is new to me this season (excuse the crappy fluorescent lighting):

Norcross frameset
2010 Force goup
speen* Umlenker
EC90 SLX wheels
Vittoria XM tubulars
XTR pedals (was on Look Quartz last season)

Just need to swap out the bar for a 3T to match the stem/post (it's on the way) and glue up one more set of wheels (Edge 1.45, Alchemy ELF/ORC, FMB tubs!)

Should be an awesome season, if for no other reason than this bike :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts