Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the quest for looking for another bike I have become quite interested in the gunnar bikes. From what I have learned from this board that Gunnar is made by Waterford.
Are there any other bike builder like this???
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
zooog said:
In the quest for looking for another bike I have become quite interested in the gunnar bikes. From what I have learned from this board that Gunnar is made by Waterford.
Are there any other bike builder like this???
Like what? You mean that makes two brands of bike? Pinarello/Opera, Litespeed/Merlin/Quintana Roo, Trek/LeMonde/Klein, etc.

TF
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
or Colnago- Giant.....Sorry I couldn't resist..... ;)

Check Bensbikes.com. They sell Milwaukee Frames that I believe are made by Waterford also....
I believe Heron is also made by Waterford. They did (maybe still do) also make a 'bent for somebody. - TF
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,415 Posts
The Gunnar/Waterford "brands" just shows how much you have to pay extra for a well known "Name" on your bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
The Gunnar/Waterford "brands" just shows how much you have to pay extra for a well known "Name" on your bike.
What does that mean? Do you mean the Waterford costs more than the Gunnar because the name Waterford is more well known? You do understand the Gunnars are a fraction of the price of a Waterford because they have a fraction of the labor in them compared to the Waterfords. This is not a knock on the Gunnars. Waterford says as much. For the record, both are great bikes and values for the loot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
He doesn't call himself "Mr Grumpy" for nothing.

Curt Goodrich said:
What does that mean? Do you mean the Waterford costs more than the Gunnar because the name Waterford is more well known? You do understand the Gunnars are a fraction of the price of a Waterford because they have a fraction of the labor in them compared to the Waterfords. This is not a knock on the Gunnars. Waterford says as much. For the record, both are great bikes and values for the loot.
I for one can testify that Gunnars are fine frames and that Waterfords are even better.

MB1 Waterford riding fool.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=37620&highlight=Tale+Waterfords
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,415 Posts
Take a look at a Gunnar, and then take a look at a Waterford R-14. Tell me then, why the R-14 costs $1300, and why the Gunnar costs $725
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
I think the correct question is "How can they offer the Gunnar for so little?"

MR_GRUMPY said:
Take a look at a Gunnar, and then take a look at a Waterford R-14. Tell me then, why the R-14 costs $1300, and why the Gunnar costs $725
They aren't getting rich-no framebuilder is. If you ask me it is not even a good living for someone of their skills, effort and talent.

BTW some of the reasons I know of for the lower price on Gunnars;
1) They are building the Gunnar frames in batches instead of one at a time.
2) Custom options cost extra, by the time you pay the upcharges for a custom Gunnar you can easily exceed the cost of an R14.
3) They are cutting their margins to keep their staff busy and their workload steady as well as offering something more for their dealers to sell.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,415 Posts
Same tubeset...Choice of paint ( as long as you pick one of three or four colors)....Same finish.......If you are one of the 5% of people who really "need" custom, then you should go with Waterford.
Framewise, the only difference is the SS dropouts in back and a seat lug.
Gunnars are the "deal of the new Century" $125 extra, if you are the fussy type that has to have a certain color. That brings the cost up to $850
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,415 Posts
I don't want people to stop buying Waterford's. They're Richard's bread and butter. But for cheap, penny pinching, bast***s like me, Gunnar's are the answer.
Ps. I would still like a R-22......but I would be afraid to race it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I was looking for is....are there any other name builder that build a high end bike like a Waterford BUT build a "cheaper" frame under another name. Like the Waterford building Gunnar. I understand it's a lesser frame, heavier....ect.Just lookiing at all options. Again, Thanks.

Zooog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Zoogie...

if you read the fine print in the previous posts you do get a bit of your answer, and also a clarification. There isn't that much of a diff between the lower priced W's and the Gunnars. "Lesser, heavier" is a bit strong. Just "less expensive" is more appropriate. You can pay extra for different detailing and tubing, but then you are in custom country. FWIW, I don't know of a similar relationship between brands, at least with my late afternoon fuzz-brain fatigue. As the fellow said, maybe the "deal of the century"?

PS I have a Roadie model that is four years old and I am quite happy with it: very good handling and power delivery (in a big frame size), and really nice ride. There is a nice balance between the front and rear, which was a surprise for me as I have a Reynolds carbon fork up front. The rear also has a very nice ride/power delivery balance--you wouldn't expect it to be so stiff when hammering given the cushy ride it gives. Can I rave a bit more: given its other skills, my Gunnar has a fabulous ride. Better than my Litespeed classic (large frame, too).


zooog said:
What I was looking for is....are there any other name builder that build a high end bike like a Waterford BUT build a "cheaper" frame under another name. Like the Waterford building Gunnar. I understand it's a lesser frame, heavier....ect.Just lookiing at all options. Again, Thanks.

Zooog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have already decided to head to my "local" waterford/gunnar dealer in the very near future. 30 mile ride each way but I want to check out this bike. Thanks for all the input.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top