Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Profile Design Split second aero bars for my wife and I. We're not triathaletes, but we want the comfort of aerobars on longer rides.

Because we still use the tops of the handle bars, we wanted aero bars with flip up rests. We have identified only two such models: Profile AirStrike and the Split Second. I'm leaning towards the SS because of adjustability.

Anyone here currently using or have used the SS and what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
test

thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Tower,
I'm a user and a lover of the Profile SS aerobars. I have the SS Titanium and they're sweet! Lightweight and super adjustable. Only problem I had was that the right arm pad felt like it started to pack out on me, but I think someone switched that one at a race to tell you the truth because one day it felt great and the next day it was all packed out :confused: The other arm pad that's on there is super...beefy and soft.

;)

Tower said:
I'm looking at the Profile Design Split second aero bars for my wife and I. We're not triathaletes, but we want the comfort of aerobars on longer rides.

Because we still use the tops of the handle bars, we wanted aero bars with flip up rests. We have identified only two such models: Profile AirStrike and the Split Second. I'm leaning towards the SS because of adjustability.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Packed out?

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain the phrase "packed out"? Sounds like you mean it went flat on you, or lost it's cushion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're welcome. Yeah that packed out feeling was a feeling like it lost some cushioning. But like I said, that pad looks completely different from the other one, and it wasn't that way before the race, so that's why I think someone swapped theirs with mine. Other than that though, the bars are great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A Happy Split Second Owner

Tower said:

Thanks!
Tower,

I used to ride with an Air Sryke for 2 or 3 years. I liked it a lot but the pins that the arm rests pivoted on would work themselves out and then the arm rest would begin to separate from the bar clamp. Profile was really good about replacing things under warranty repeatedly but it was a real drag investing so much effort to maintain the Air Stryke.

When I bought a new bike (Serotta csi) I wanted a better aero bar. My LBS suggested I try the Split Second as a way of overcoming the problem I was having with the Air Stryke. I was skeptical at first, similar spring loaded arm, but the LBS said if I wasn't satisfied I wouldn't be stuck with them. Now I wouldn't use anything else. They work great! No problems. Way more adjustable and comfortable than the Air Stryke.

If you go with the Split Second I would be very surprised if you were not similarly impressed and satisfied! It seems to me there is a price difference between the Air Stryke and the Split Second and it may be a significant one. My advice is don't pinch pennies here. I wish the Split Second had been available when I first purchased an aero bar, it wasn't, and that someone had enthusiastically recommended to me.

Best wishes for many enjoyable miles of riding.

Ben Cline

:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben, thanks for the reply! I have infact ordered and installed the Split Seconds. Inital thoughts are: comfortable, but steering is squirley. I'm certain the steering issue will work it's way out as I get comfortable being in the aero bars.

I had to flip the bottom portion of the clamp to fit on my oversized bar. Before I turned it around, there was not much clamping surface and I was worried I would crimp the bars. Turning the bottom portion around gave me a better clamping surface.

I chose the split second because it had more adjustability than the AirStrike.

So far I really like them, but it will take some getting used to being in them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used SS last year

but I combined them with the Jammer GT clamps and arm rests so I could run the pads farther back than the standard pads. This works out well for me on my road bike-I'm too stretched out with the pads on or just behind the bars. I have a TT bike too and the top tube is shorter so "regular" aerobars work fine. Although the pads I used didn't flip up, they were in a much more comfortable position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts