Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coworker of mine was talking about the Fitbit type watches everyone has and that I should get one. 90% of my workouts are on the bike and that stuff is uploaded via my Garmin 500. It seems pointless to count my steps if I'm spending enough time on the bike*.

*No, it's not as much time as I'd like to spend on the bike. Damn job.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Nope. Walking around doesn't help me ride faster. And knowing how much I walk around would likely only make me try to walk around less.

Hmm, maybe it would be good for maximizing recovery...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Seems kinda' silly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMO the fitbits purpose is to make lazy people feel like they're exercising. Hrm and cadence tell you far more than a pedometer. Time at xxx heart rate is where it's at IMO.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Preface. I have a research interest (academic) in the use of activity monitors by the low fit and sedentary population especially when combined with incentives and other forms of engagement. In the midst of analyzing a study that wrapped up at the end of last semester. [Students are EXTRA lazy on Sunday]

I wear a FitBit Blaze primarily as a low cost 'smart watch' that also tracks steps and sleep. I use it for the watch and quick reading of texts as its main use. I also use it (on concert with the app) to be a reminder to meet my sleep goal so that I can be more productive (spending less time posting and reading random **** on the internet was another goal unrelated to the watch hence my lack of posts here and other places).

I like the watch for the those listed uses. It is not the best (objective) for steps but not too bad.

It does FAIL when I wear it cycling grossly inflating steps and flights of stairs EVEN WHEN I tell the watch I am on a bike. Disappointed with that. It also congratulates me when I mow the lawn (walk behind) for my bike ride. I assume because of the elevated above sedentary heart rate yet relatively fixed hand position.

Some neat to me findings are that I get about 2500 steps getting my kids and myself ready to leave the house in from 6:20 - 7:30am. It is hard to believe HOW some people only obtain 3000 steps all day. Cleaning the house is a lot of steps. As is loading the car for race weekends. (overnight travel for 4 typically).

Some are more objective than others, but their use is more about habit forming and the benefit depends on what you plan to use it for and why.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. Probably won't be getting one, although I heard a rumor that my hospital's insurance company would like us to wear them as part of our wellness program.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
I got a garmin vivoactive HR for the optical HR meter that I use in place of the chest strap when running or on the bike. Works pretty good, but future iterations will certainly be more accurate. You can also use it in place of a cycling head unit, as it should pick up most sensors other than a power meter maybe. It also syncs with Garmin Connect, so the data goes the same place as my Edge data. Useful as a normal smartwatch as well, syncing with the phone to give me notifications for text, email, weather, etc. A neat watch.

I'd never buy anything fitbit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts