Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there are any RBR community members coming in for the RNC national convention. Post up here. I'd be happy to get together and show you the town on two wheels.

I have a spare 56, but there would be plenty of time to secure a rental as well.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
<i>Bikes Belong and Humana will bring 1,000 bicycles to the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado, August 25-28. We’ll also bring another 1,000 bicycles to the Republican National Convention in St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota, September 1-4.</i>
http://www.bikesbelong.org/node/809678

I'd wager a tidy sum they get more business in Denver than in the TC but that's a conversation for another forum.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blackhat said:
<i>Bikes Belong and Humana will bring 1,000 bicycles to the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado, August 25-28. We’ll also bring another 1,000 bicycles to the Republican National Convention in St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota, September 1-4.</i>
http://www.bikesbelong.org/node/809678

I'd wager a tidy sum they get more business in Denver than in the TC but that's a conversation for another forum.
I'd heard about this, but not looked into it. You reply made me check it out. I went to the FAQ on the bike sharing site and see that they are offering guides to lead rides for convention attendees. I dropped them an e-mail to see if they need any more help with that. I also looked at where they will have bike stations. They must not have been able to get space next to the Convention Center in St. Paul. The bike station is a 3-4 of blocks away down on the river flats. It's not too far but St. Paul sits on the river bluffs and the bike station is down at river level. Anyone who gets a bike is in for a little bit of climb right at the start. It's barely worth concern for anybody who rides, but I bet they get "feedback" on that.

Scot

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe not as bad as I thought.
The bike station will be behind the Science Museum and there is a staitcase that you can walk down to river level directly to the bike station. This spots also allows them to put a very visible store front at the top of the stairs. The top of the stairs is directly across the street from the convention center.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Volunteering

If any of you RBRers do end up in the Twin Cities for the convention this week, I volunteered with Bikes Belong to help with FreeWheelIn bike share program durring the convention.

I will be leading rides at 2:00pm and 4:00pm from the Loring Park station.
Wednesday Sept. 3rd

I plan to lead a ride to Minnehaha Falls and bring the group back via the light rail.

Come on over and ride with me.

Scot

· Registered
279 Posts
Scot, thanks for the offer, but won't be there for the convention. I do get to MSP once or twice a year visiting noncycling friends, so if you'll make it an open ended offer, I'll bring my S&S next time and see if we can coordinate a ride.
Chris

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
minstrie said:
Scot, thanks for the offer, but won't be there for the convention. I do get to MSP once or twice a year visiting noncycling friends, so if you'll make it an open ended offer, I'll bring my S&S next time and see if we can coordinate a ride.
Chris
By all means. Drop me a PM next time your coming to town and we can set something up and show your the town (or the out of town) which ever you prefer

Scot

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scot_Gore said:
Maybe not as bad as I thought.
The bike station will be behind the Science Museum and there is a staitcase that you can walk down to river level directly to the bike station. This spots also allows them to put a very visible store front at the top of the stairs. The top of the stairs is directly across the street from the convention center.
Nope, I'm wrong about that. In a surprise move, they closed that staircase to Ped access yesterday. You won't be able to walk into downtown via that route. They limited pedestrian access to about a half a dozen points and closed all the roads to cars and bikes.

Scot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.