Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping around for a budget 1st time road bike and have looked at the Giant OCR3 at $600, Specialized Allez at $720 and the Scott S60 at $550. They all feel relatively similar on the butt test riding around with the Specialized being the nicest, but a bit out of my budget. Anyhow, I dont see much of a difference between the Sora group on the OCR3 and Allez and the 2200 group on the Scott S60. The price of $550 is a bit more palatable to me though.

For a noob that will ride about 50 miles a week, no competitions, is there a difference? The Scott and the Specialized do look real nice style wise though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
2008 Sora now is 9 speed and has a two piece crankset like its more expensive cousins and looks to be much improved from its former 8 speed group. 2200 looks to be basically the old 8 speed Sora stuff, probably works fine but heavy and not very upgradeable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I would look used at that price point unless you are dying to have a warranty/service from a shop.

For $500 I got a 3 year old OCR1, full 105. I just had a friend who got a 2002 Trek 5000 for $250 and it's full carbon. The deals are out there from people who have no clue whats going on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
for that mid $500 price... there are tons of deals to be had ... like above poster mentioned... also in terms of new... i know performance bike.. has house brand 105 bikes ... and bikesdirect.com would also have some better spec'd bikes.. but i know that other members here on the board have other opinions about buying from BD...

·
Rub it............
3,929 Posts
I work at Performance bike, and I've been eyeballing the Scattante R-660. Really nice piece with 105/Ultegra pieces on it. Only thing not good are the Tektro brakes. I would upgrade them ASAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.