Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I am am moreon and posted a bag thread in The Lounge instead of here. I need a new messenger-style bag and the consensus seems to be that Timbuk 2s aren't a good value for the $$ and Chrome and Re.Load are great stuff. Any reason NOT to get a Chrome (or Re.Load) bag--or are these 2 brands the top of the heap? Full disclosure--this will be used more for commuting to and from work on a bus than it will find use on the bike, but I want to be able to do both. I'm also not planning on becoming a messenger. Family only has one car so being able to haul a 12 pack of beer back from the liquor store on the bike is a plus. ;)

// size wise I was thinking about the Citizen, but am I gonna kick myself if I don't get The Metropolitan instead?

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
MB -- Do you mean the "Metropolis" or th "Kremlin"?

They have a little one, "Citizen", and the <a href=http://www.chromebags.com/metropolis.php>"Metropolis,"</a> that is the bigger of the two most LBSes stock. I've got that one, can fit 2 x 6-packs of long necks if I want. Chrome says 2000 ci.

They also have the <a href=http://www.chromebags.com/kremlin.php>"Kremlin,"</a> which I could fit my BIKE in! Chrome says 3000 Ci. A buddy who works as a messenger has one of those, but it's bigger than I would want.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
I've got the super-sized chrome backpack- it rocks. It works great as carry-on luggage on planes, it's great for use around town off my bike, and it's really fantastic on the bike.

It's only downsides are that 1- it's heavy- the pack alone probably weighs 7 pounds and 2- it's really hot in the summer- that's a lot of contact area between the bag and my back. This becomes a really good thing in winter, when it's like wearing a radiator.

I love the fact that I am able to carry 3- 12 packs (the long skinny kind) in the bag comfortably. My bike doesn't appreciate it when I do that, but everyone else does.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FrontRanger said:
If you go with the Chrome, Wilderness Exchange down on 15th and Platte was/is carrying them. They always get factory seconds/blems and have good prices.
Is that down by the REI?

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Chrome. I was lusting after them for a long time, and recently I found a silly good sale at a local Supergo that was purchased by Performance. I got a Citizen and a Metropolis, and I think they are great. Get at least the Metropolis. I'm gonna use the Citizen more like a brief case that will make people wonder.

· Registered
18 Posts
Try before you buy and get the one that you like best and that suits your needs and style the best. For me that was the Chrome. I bought the T2 and then tried it, what a pain in the back when carrying on the bike, and it didn't really stay put (moved araound alot). I then decided that I still could return it since it was so new and found a local place to try a Chrome. I got the Metropolis and tried it in store (in fact everyone employed at the store owned one and had it with them that day, and a few let me try theirs with some weight in it to get a feel for how it rides). It was pure bliss and I decided to bite the bullit and spend the extra to get the Chrome (which was three times as much, since I got the T2 for about $40 on closeout). Took the T2 back and ponied up the extra for the Chrome. All I can say is it is worth all the extra and then some (if for nothing more than not having to haul it over my head to get it off and adjustments are so much easier also). The T2 made me feel like I was repelling everytime I went to adjust it. So does anyone know what the discount the employees at the LBS get (since everyone was carrying a pack with them, and they were well used so they are using them, just not for show)???

· Registered
1,318 Posts
Do you really want a big old hot bag on your back, sweat dripping down into your shorts? Why not a cycle-specific backpack (more airflow) that you won't constantly be moving around and with the weight distributed across both shoulders? I got smart a few years ago - threw away my Chrome and got a Deuter backpack. Now I can stand up and stomp up the hills without the stupid messenger bag sliding around. Maybe not as stylish, but what the hell...

· Registered
19 Posts
Timbuktu is a sponsor so I REALLY should not comment....
BUT.
Other than a HUGE product line they still have a crappy shoulder
strap buckle that requires TWO HANDS to close.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.