Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountain bike brake pads on road calipers? I know that the cartridge type refills wont work, but suppose you change the whole cartridge including the carrier, why would it NOT work?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
MTB pads would probably be too long

The rear section of the pad would extend back between the rim and the inside of the fork blade; you might not be able to spread the calipers open far enough to take the wheel off, judging by a quick look at my bikes. ...that's assuming you could get the pads in there in the first place.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Exactly.

I tried that on my old 'cross bike. I figured that since it was essentially a mtb, why not? Doesn't work. The rear of the pad WILL hit the fork. If you are looking for additional stopping power, try Koolstop salmon pads. I've heard it said that they work better than the std Ultegra/Da pads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, as others have said, they'll probably hit your fork. However, the road pads on my TT bike hit the fork when opened, and I can still get a 23mm tire in and out no problem. It'll depend on the shape of your fork.
Also, be aware that the cartridge-style mtb pads are wider, because of the holder, than a similar one-piece pad. I'm thinking of Kool-Stop here, because that's what I've got experience with.
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. More power, greater pad selection, ease of maintenance? I'm perfectly happy with Kool-Stop road pads, both Black and Salmon (I have the new Carbon rim pads, but haven't ridden on them yet). Plus, they're not that expensive mail-order, and not that hard to find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.