Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
poseur
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For people who has use different 1/8 chains, which one seems the quietest? I am using Campy Pista crank and Euro-Asia cog, the chain line is fine, but it's really LOUD. The noise comes from the chain link contacting the teeth. It's drving me nuts.
Any recommendations? I am using low end Izumi (not the NJS one) chain right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wippermann works for me...dead quiet and long lasting...

Weißstern (White Star) 152..one of the best values for the buck around. Bushing chain...shiny and silver. Around $15.00.

Business Cycles in Miami has them. John Dacey, the owner, is one of the most savy track guys around.

I think that I've bought a couple from Airbomb in Calif., too. Lots of track and SS stuff there, also.

PH

Edit:

I assumed, when I responded to your post last nite, that you were running an all 1/8th drivetrain. If EITHER (or both) chainring and cog are 3/32nd, and you're running a 1/8th chain...of any make...you'll have a noise issue.

Also, if you've set your wheel too far back and cause too much chain tension, you'll hear popping noises and feel some low level vibration...maybe even hear a very faint "grinding" noise.

When you turn the crank by hand, bike in a stand, check for binding...a signal that your CR is not centered properly and/or that your chain tension is too great.

All things adjusted properly, you'll be riding a stealthy steed.

PH

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I use a KMC chain, on a Surly cog/Salsa ring, or a Shimano BMX free/shimano ring. Both are extremely quiet, even though the shimano ring is an old derailleur-type ring. I regularly startle crackheads when I ride through the park.

Maybe the thing is loud if you aren't using track cogs?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oh, there's "centered" and then there's centered.

more than likely it's the orientation of the cog to the chainring, eventhough the wheel is
centered in the frame doesn't mean that the cog is in the correct plane--this is assuming
you havve a darn near perfect chainline to begin with
"just my humble experience"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts