Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that mountain biking is more fun (at least for me). Have been riding on the road for the last 10 years (and did a little mountain). This winter hitting the trail every weekend (used to ride on road in winter) but not so windy in the woods. The trail riding is just more fun. The trail I ride does not have any logs and has just enough roots and rocks to keep things interesting. I have a Santa Cruz nomad and it is all fun. Went road riding this season as well and it is just not the same, especially the cars. Will probably have to switch back to road once the ticks get active. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
All it is is riding a bike.

Don't matter what surface you do it on.

I like pie.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
I'm the opposite. I did a tough century a few years ago in the rain. As I was sludging out the last few miles I was dreaming about just screwing around on my mountain bike (not kod3). The next day I hopped on the mtb anticipating great fun and frolic only to find I felt like I was riding a turtle (again, not kod3).

I sold my mtb two days later.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Mmm. Just depends on what suits an individual's particular fancy.

I did a LOT of Mt biking when I was road racing, but it was only for "break/play time." It was a nice diversion.

I still get more of a charge just humming along "in the zone" on a road bike. Then again, I have places to ride where there is very little traffic.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
MB1 said:
All it is is riding a bike.

Don't matter what surface you do it on.

I like pie.
There you have it. I do both, and I'll change which is my favorite a couple of times a year on average. By being able to do both you can keep it exciting. And have an excuse for more bikes.

Pie works for me.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Vayinafash said:
that mountain biking is more fun (at least for me). Have been riding on the road for the last 10 years (and did a little mountain). This winter hitting the trail every weekend (used to ride on road in winter) but not so windy in the woods. The trail riding is just more fun. The trail I ride does not have any logs and has just enough roots and rocks to keep things interesting. I have a Santa Cruz nomad and it is all fun. Went road riding this season as well and it is just not the same, especially the cars. Will probably have to switch back to road once the ticks get active. Oh well.
Nah, I tried it but fell too many times... Perhaps the trail was too advanced, but I knew if I continued on the MTB I'd break something... I've never fallen on the road.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I enjoyed riding MTB but in order to do so, I (and most every one else, I expect) have to load the beast up in the car, drive to wherever you're riding, unload, and then ride. My roadie? Open the garage door and out I go to miles of lightly traveled roads. My MTB has been hanging from the garage roof for at least 2 yrs.....

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
1990-1997 100% MTB

I bought my first road bike (since college) in 1998, since then -

1998 38% MTB, 62% Road
1999 40% MTB, 60% Road
2000 13% MTB, 87% Road
2001 1% MTB, 99% Road
2002 <1% MTB, 99% Road
2003 <1% MTB, 99% Road
2004 1% MTB, 99% Road
2005 2% MTB, 98% Road
2006 2% MTB, 98% Road
2007 0% MTB, 100% Road
2008 0% MTB, 100% Road

I guess it's not more fun for me.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Kram said:
I enjoyed riding MTB but in order to do so, I (and most every one else, I expect) have to load the beast up in the car, drive to wherever you're riding, unload, and then ride. My roadie? Open the garage door and out I go to miles of lightly traveled roads. My MTB has been hanging from the garage roof for at least 2 yrs.....
Pretty much the same for me...:(

Personally, I find MTB'ing every bit as enjoyable as road riding, it's just different. However, the closest real trails are a good 45+ minutes from here...and that's only one trail. Beyond that it's a good 1.5 hour drive...which completely sucks the fun out of it.

However, I can leave from my house and ride thousands of miles of flat roads, mountains, small hills, rollers, etc.

I actually started riding MTB's and raced them for a while...then made the transition to road bikes and was 50/50...now it's 100% road riding other than a few MTB races I do each year...mostly Short Track at the local race track.

If I had hundreds of miles of trails near my house, I'd spend much, much more time on them than the road...but lack of availability limits my options...so the road it is :thumbsup:

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Fun is for sissies.

That, and the whole 'drive to ride' thing doesn't thrill me.

Don't dig technical, and if I wanna be out in the woods, a bike's too fast. I'd rather use boots.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I love my MTB, but driving an hour or more to anywhere decent gets a bit tedious. I'm sure if I lived in a town with many trails, I would ride my MTB everywhere, but that's not possible right now.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
See. If you do cross, you've got the best of both worlds. Mud, trails, pavement, stone, you name it. All on a roadbikish machine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts